The turtles are back & a-layin'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
TWO turtles came up last night within sight of one another. No sooner had I watched one slip into the surf than another popped out right in front of me... about 9:20 pm or so. The few watchers were quiet and respectful, and these little encounters are part of the reason I love living there so much.

I wish Matt were still here... he'd enjoy that AND know how to take a picture with a low flash... until I learn I'm not taking any chances on distressing the gals.

MikeJacobs:
TWO turtles came up last night within sight of one another. No sooner had I watched one slip into the surf than another popped out right in front of me... about 9:20 pm or so. The few watchers were quiet and respectful, and these little encounters are part of the reason I love living there so much./QUOTE]

I wanna see...... any chance of seeing more tonight?

Hmmmmm, I might have to join you guys if you're going out on a turtle watch at Hibiscus. (I've got a business dinner, but it should be over by 9:30-10:00.

What a nice way to end the day...

GrierHPharmD:
Hmmmmm, I might have to join you guys if you're going out on a turtle watch at Hibiscus. (I've got a business dinner, but it should be over by 9:30-10:00.
What a nice way to end the day...

Hi Grier... Rick and I are planning on being there..
Call us later we'll meet ya there. :dazzler1:

Will do. I hope my business evening ends early...

Has anybody asked Mike? :wink:

Marc

FLL Diver:
Has anybody asked Mike? :wink:
Marc

We are not going to Mike's house... the turtles are on the beach right? or does he own that too???

MikeJacobs:
TWO turtles came up last night within sight of one another. No sooner had I watched one slip into the surf than another popped out right in front of me... about 9:20 pm or so. The few watchers were quiet and respectful, and these little encounters are part of the reason I love living there so much.

I wish Matt were still here... he'd enjoy that AND know how to take a picture with a low flash... until I learn I'm not taking any chances on distressing the gals.
Mike cover your flash with a white linen hanky or something in that line it makes the light soft

What kind of turtles were they? Alligator snappers perhaps... or even Madagascar rayed tortoises?

There are formal night walks from now till the end of the season that guides take you on to see the hatchlings swim to sea. Anne Klobe (sp) does them as some of the other county parks...John U Lloyd and North Beach park in Hollywood have nesting sites also..not much to look at tho, just a high fence and posts marking the eggs moved there.

If you catch the sunrise at the beach, there is a patrol from NOVA University that scours the beach for new turtle nests and removes the eggs to safety. (see you guys there are good reasons for doing sunrise dives LOL) If you see a nest, leave it alone!!!!
I was down in N. Miami at Houlover quite a few years back and got to see the eggs getting dug up by the crew. The eggs were about 2-3 foot deep. The young guest with me got to hold an egg...about the size of a ping pong ball only soft. Very cool.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom