The truth on reverse squeeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laban

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am pretty new to diving, and I'm totally sold. Got a new BC and regulators waiting to do their first dives with me. Doing my 12th dive this weekend, and I've come out of a cold about three days ago. I've tried to read up on squeeze issues, but the opinions are diverse and numerous.

I feel good, no fever, no coughs, my nose does not run except for when I go out in the cold, then it's watery without color. The only thing is I wake up in mornings with a slight congestion in my nose (not blocked, just a slight feeling) which I treat with a 12 hour decongestant pill. I can equalize before I take the pill in the morning, even though one ear is a bit slow. When I take the pill I can equalize without problem.

So my question is: If I go diving in the weekend (specialty course with an instructor), and can equalize without problem going down, is there a risk of a reverse squeeze? With the shape of the ear tubes, wouldn't it be easier for air to go out than in? I never had any problems on previous dives.

Thanks

I had a recent dive in which I was able to equalize with no problem whatsoever on the way down, but at the end of the dive got locked up between 12 feet and 19 feet - any farther in either direction equalled my right ear saying, "nope, you aren't going to do that..." I tried descending, ascending, and to no end other than torturing myself. I ended up inching my way up over a 5 or so minute period of time from 12 feet to 8 feet, where the block finally gave way and let me move on up. So, the short of it is: Yes, you can eq on the way down with no problems and still develop a block on the way up if you get congested while you are down there from whatever reason, be it meds wearing off or whatnot.

Its hard to predict when or how a reverse squeeze will hit you. Being on the recieving end of several of them, I have found methods of clearing that seem to work well for me most of the time, but may not necessarily work for others.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you if you do actually decide to dive with congestion is this:

GAS MANAGEMENT! You do not want to cut your air supply so close that you don't have the gas remaining to sort out a squeeze problem when it's time to ascend.

As Chris pointed out, clearing a reverse squeeze *can* take several minutes. Not the time to discover that you are out of air, have to rush to the surface, and end up rupturing an ear drum.

Dive safe, dive smart.

Cave Diver, thanks for your reply. Could you please tip me on your methods, so I have something to try if I dive and if it happens? It'd be much appreciated.

Regards
/Laban

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom