The Trinity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaman13

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know this is probably an odd question, but my dad has to teach a class at our church and the theme is the Holy Trinity, he needs something humorous-a phrase, a joke, etc.- about the Holy Trinity, so if anyone has got anything, I'd much appreciate it, thanks.

I couldn't think of a thing that specific. I did see something on youtube that I thought was funny. Too harsh for your dad's class, but it might give him some ideas.
Do a word search on youtube for "Some Grey Bloke" (hope I spelled it right) then look for the one entitled Jesus Loves You.
(Warning- it may be offensive to the thinned skin. I am a person of faith and it didn't offend me.)

How about using the pope's gesture. Most think he's saying Father ,Son and Holy ghost while he's making the sign of the cross. Us Italians know he's saying " Hey, alla you, get the hell off a the lawn!"

here is some info you father might be able to use.. thrid paragraph has a reference that might be usefull

by AllAboutGOD.com

God-sized Reality

Foundation of the Christian Faith
What is the Trinity Doctrine? In a nutshell, there is one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son (Jesus Christ) and Holy Spirit. The three persons of the Godhead are coequal and co-eternal (Genesis 1:26, Isaiah 9:6, Matthew 3:16-17; 28:19, Luke 1:35, Hebrews 3:7-11, and 1 John 5:7).
How Can We Comprehend It?
The most difficult thing about the Trinity Doctrine is that there is no way to adequately explain it. The Trinity is a concept that is impossible for any human being to fully understand, let alone explain. God is infinitely higher than we are, therefore we should not expect to be able to fully understand Him. The Bible teaches that the Father is God (Exodus 3:14), that Jesus is God (John 8:58), and that the Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4). The Bible also teaches that there is only one God (Deuteronomy 6:4; James 2:19). How these two statements of doctrine can both be true is incomprehensible to the human mind. However, this doesn't mean that they're both not true.
No Illustration Is Completely Accurate
With respect to the Trinity Doctrine, none of the popular illustrations are completely accurate descriptions. The egg fails in that the shell, white and yoke are parts of the egg, not the egg in themselves. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are not parts of God, each of them is God. The water illustration is somewhat better, but still fails to adequately describe the Trinity. Liquid, vapor and ice are forms of water. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are not forms of God, each of them is God. So, while these illustrations may give us a picture of the Trinity, the picture is not entirely accurate or complete. An infinite God cannot be fully described by a finite illustration.
Instead of focusing on the Trinity, try to focus on the fact of God's greatness and infinitely higher nature than our own. "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor?" (Romans 11:33-34)
Jehovah God is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit -- three Persons, one God. Tertullian (160-215 AD) explained, "We define that there are two, the Father and the Son, and three with the Holy Spirit, and this number is made by the pattern of salvation... They are three, not in dignity, but in degree, not in substance but in form, not in power but in kind. They are of one substance and power, because there is one God from whom these degrees, forms and kinds devolve in the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit." (Adv. Prax. 23; PL 2.156-7).
God is Beyond Comprehension!
The core of the Trinity Doctrine is the reality of a triune Godhead - God lives in fellowship and relationship with Himself. This is a difficult concept to grasp. But let's put a God-sized doctrine into perspective -- God is beyond our comprehension. "'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' says the LORD. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts'" (Isaiah 55:8-9). It shouldn't bother us that we can't understand "tri-unity." We can't comprehend infinity, eternity or electricity either, but reality is real whether we can comprehend it or not.
All we really need to know about the Trinity Doctrine: "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…" (Matthew 28:19)

ok ok .. straight off the press. i like this one and think it'll work.

[SIZE=+2]Trinity Joke[/SIZE]
Jesus said, Whom do men say that I am?

And his disciples answered and said, Some say you are John the Baptist returned from the dead; others say Elias, or other of the old prophets.

And Jesus answered and said, But whom do you say that I am?

Peter answered and said, "Thou art the Logos, existing in the Father as His rationality and then, by an act of His will, being generated, in consideration of the various functions by which God is related to his creation, but only on the fact that Scripture speaks of a Father, and a Son, and a Holy Spirit, each member of the Trinity being coequal with every other member, and each acting inseparably with and interpenetrating every other member, with only an economic subordination within God, but causing no division which would make the substance no longer simple."

And Jesus answering, said, "What?"

How about using the pope's gesture. Most think he's saying Father ,Son and Holy ghost while he's making the sign of the cross. Us Italians know he's saying " Hey, alla you, get the hell off a the lawn!"

the aussie version of this is 'you, take your mate (aussie term for buddy) and your esky (aussie term for cooler) and psss off outta here

:D

the aussie version of this is 'you, take your mate (aussie term for buddy) and your esky (aussie term for cooler) and psss off outta here

:D

He really doesn't say "allayou" but I'm not allowed to say "W"ith "O"ut "P"aper"S" here on scuba board. For the intellectually challenged it's the first letter of each word and the last of the last:wink:. BTW that is exactly where the word came from and referred to those who came to Ellis Island from Italy without birth certificates, baptismal certificates, or any other kind of identification papers. W, O, P's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom