The Trench 7/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Crab Lover and I hit this site on Sunday. It was an okay dive but we saw two unusual things, one identified and one just weird.

We saw a lion's paw (or head - I can't remember which) sea cucumber. It was really going to town with it's Medusa head end. Too bad we forgot the camera could video.

Then, I spotted what appeared at first glance to be smooth white coral, about the size of a golf ball. We were only in about 45' at the time I saw this, so I wasn't narced. The ball thing was pulsing. I called Crab Lover over and she saw it, too. She described the action as "breathing". Either way, weird.

She took lots of photos, thought maybe she saw fins, but no face. I told her afterward, that she should have shot video because no one would believe us.

Thanks for the report. The pulsating thing sounds intriguing! Any pictures to share, Crab Lover? :D

Yeah, I guess the word is pulsating, not pulsing, huh? Well, to be honest, when I said to Crab Lover that it was pulsating, she sort of paused before saying breathing (like I was kind of crazy). I think my description is more dramatic and mysterious.

But really, what would be breathing underwater, besides divers?

It does sound dramatic. Octopus or squid kinda pulse or pulsate-- so it certainly doesn't sound crazy to me. :wink:

That's what I love about diving-- always something new to see.

Pictures!!!

I looked in the Hoover's book, and what you thought was the Lion's Paw, is actually a Conspicuous Sea Cucumber. The Lion's Paw has more color stripes and the Conspicuous is known for the round segments that makes it look like a colon (I think you said something very similar yesterday...)
SCUBA_038_1.jpg

close up of the mouth
SCUBA_036_12.jpg

here is the "unknown" thing from the side, it was the lighter area that looked like it was expanding and contracting, which made me think of "breathing". Also, it kind of looked like a frogfish, but there was no clear "face", I got close and could find and eye or mouth...

SCUBA_014_11.jpg

another angle

SCUBA_015_13.jpg

obviously, not a frogfish from this angle... sea nmf thought it was an egg sac of some sort, but what made it?

My guess is a petrified elbow crab? ( bottom of pg 271 in Hoover's Sea Creatures) The picture in the book looks just like a rock, no identifiable eyes or mouth.

How big was it?

About golf ball or ping pong ball, like your octopus (very impressive, by the way!)

I wouldn't think a hard carapace would expand and contract like a membrane though... unless this crab has a thin carapace, it doesn't say how hard it is...

A bunch of us were hanging out under a tree till about 12pm behind the beachhouse...waiting for a few stragglers from our office...

We made two dives...on the second, I was tasked to help my buddy recover some items he lost on the first dive...we missed the manta ray...but we did luckily find the items...

This was my first dive out there...lots of turtles...

That was the same time we were there. I had on the sleeveless wetsuit and sea nmf has the blond hair and the bright neon green tank.

Back
Top Bottom