The Teric's Battery Performance.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Burhan,

Have you had any chance to compare the performance of Ratio's Buhlmann ZH-l16B to 16C? I have always wondered how they compare. Would think B would be a bit more liberal under some circumstances
No, not yet. I have had a long dry period over the last several months and didn't have the chance to dive or do anything relate to diving unfortunately.

I have an email response from Ratio concerning why they chose the B instead of the C I can send it to you if you want to read it. I haven't looked at it carefully yet. Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll be happy to forwarded it to you.

Nothing wrong with it.
But as all batteries go, the battery will degrade with time and eventually may need to go back to manufacturer.
Maybe I'm not thinking correctly and perhaps the computer needs to go to Shearwater for servicing after x # of years anyway but the convenience of changing the battery myself is a positive attribute.

Lithium Ion batteries work a bit differently than old school batteries. You can and should charge them often. Depleting them to 10% or so stresses the battery and kills longevity.

Lithium Ion batteries work a bit differently than old school batteries. You can and should charge them often. Depleting them to 10% or so stresses the battery and kills longevity.
Thanks for your statement. I know what you state is correct most of the time. Once in a while, the battery should be d/c.

I'm not against Li Batteries. I have lots of them at home and prefer them over alkaline and NiCads.

It interesting where/how Li-on's stress, thereby affecting performance / longevity.

For example, Apple says don't stored a fully charged iPhone for a long time as it'll damage the battery. Shearwater say the (apparent) opposite. I suspect a few reasons why they're both correct / consistent; Off isn't really off on a Teric (and on a phone it is). 100% mayn't be 100% (of the batteries capacity). On the phone it appears to be (or close to it), IDK re Teric. I'm just speculating. Both of these products have built-in protections for low batteries. But as the Teric can't truly turn off, it's why it's emphasised to not run it into Critical, not to let it deplete below Critical, especially when stored between dives. Both Apple and SW highlight extreme temperates.

Here's a few general info websites I read:
iPhone Battery and Performance
Explaining the Do's and Don'ts of Battery Charging - Battery University
How deleterious is topping-off my Li-ion batteries (phone/laptop) every time they drop to 90%?
Batteries - Maximising Performance

It would be interesting to know what type of Li-on is in the Teric, and if there was a way of knowing how robust it was. Anecdotally, I've never had a Li-on on a phone abruptly fail (for e.g.), I have had a Li-on fail on an old toothbrush. That was an 18650 of 4 years old. Anyhow, once the battery type if know, and if it has a history in other devices, we might be able to know more.

One thing I'm happy to bet some $ on. SW will have thought this through. Perhaps SB needs a special 'praise SW' icon. :drummer:

I hope this is still on-topic.
I feel that when I am ready to dive and put Teric in the Dive Mode it takes too many buttons clicking to turn AI on.
It should be available right at the top (or close) of the Menu.

I hope this is still on-topic.
I feel that when I am ready to dive and put Teric in the Dive Mode it takes too many buttons clicking to turn AI on.
It should be available right at the top (or close) of the Menu.

I just leave mine on all the time. On our replacement Terics, we still get multiple days of diving plus using them as a watch before we would have to charge them with AI on all the time.

I just leave mine on all the time. On our replacement Terics, we still get multiple days of diving plus using them as a watch before we would have to charge them with AI on all the time.
When you go to the watch mode doesn’t AI get turned off automatically? Also from what I have been reading when AI is on but there is no signal from the transmitter - battery drain goes up like 25%.

When you go to the watch mode doesn’t AI get turned off automatically? Also from what I have been reading when AI is on but there is no signal from the transmitter - battery drain goes up like 25%.

Not sure it’s 25% but otherwise sounds right. Took it to the Caribbean and dove without AI but with it turn on (compass n arrow on as well) had no problems getting full dive days. Turning AI on/off just seemed like more hassle then the battery gains were worth.

If AI is on, and then you enter Watch Mode, or turn Off the screen, AI is temporarily turned off. When you re-enter Dive Mode AI is already on, and it begins searching.

If AI is on, and then you enter Watch Mode, or turn Off the screen, AI is temporarily turned off. When you re-enter Dive Mode AI is already on, and it begins searching.

Oh, thanks, this is clever. Now I understand how it works.
The Teric manual states that when it is "listening" for AI but there is none - the battery consumption goes up 25% but once the signal is acquired it drops to 10%.

Reactions: Jay
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom