The spitefulness of drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
The last few dives, my dry glove rings have been a little... finicky. I've had a bit more leaks than I really appreciate, so for yesterday's dive I though "screw it". The water's almost 10C - my personal limit for five-finger wetgloves - now, so I decided to dive with wet hands. That way, I'd fool those pesky dryglove rings and have time to find out why they weren't playing as nice as I'd like to. Yeah, right.

When I waded in, it felt a little cold around my wrists. Not uncommon, not worrying. With rings and short cuff wetgloves it's virtually impossible to avoid small areas where only the seal and the suit's neoprene cuff insulate against the water. That's not a problem as long as those areas are small. So we dived. A little bit into the dive, my left forearm felt a little damp. Crap. OK, I've got a very nice wool base layer, my undersuit is good almost down to 3-4C and I've been a little wet before. No big deal. Or so I thought. Sucker! When we surfaced, I was soaking wet all the way up to my shoulder, and down the left front side. Down into my boxers. Raising my arms over my shoulders to open the warmneck, doff the hood and get to the zipper sent deluges of water down my left side. Getting out of the suit, water wasn't dripping, it was running from my left arm.

Now I understand why those silicone seals come with a full set of replacements included.
13413671_10154269795924532_2563216527192265437_n.jpg

Well...at least you looked FABULOUS!

:)You have my sympathy in those refreshing conditions

Back
Top Bottom