The Size of Dive Lights, TSA, and Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironborn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be bringing these two dive lights to Bonaire for my upcoming trip:

Blue Reef Orca Torch D550 Dive Light with Battery & Charger

Princeton Tec 260 Lumens League LED Dive Light

I understand that bringing dive lights in your luggage, either carry-on or checked, may occasionally cause problems, and that many of those issues stem from their batteries. Well, I did my research, and my impression is that both of these lights should be OK from a battery perspective to bring in my carry-on bag (which is my preference - I don't trust the airlines or TSA to avoid losing or stealing my stuff). The rechargable battery for the OrcaTorch D550 is well within the wattage limits, and the AA batteries for the Princeton Tec should be fine too.

I dug deeper and found that TSA also has length restrictions for flashlights - that they cannot be longer than 7 inches. Apparently the concern is that one could use them as a weapon to beat someone, like one of those big flashlights that cops carry and might occasionally use to subdue a suspect. I measured mine and they are both about 6 and 6.5 inches. Looking at these lights, I have a hard time imagining how one could use them as a weapon to beat someone, but who knows what some genius at TSA might think of...

Has anyone ever had any TSA or other airport security issues with dive lights stemming from the size of the lights themselves, rather than their batteries?

Also, for the return flight from Bonaire....I imagine that the airport security personnel in Bonaire must be very familiar with dive lights, but has anyone ever had any issues bringing dive lights back from Bonaire?

Never had an issue. Theft or confiscation. We have always checked our flashlights. My carryon is already too heavy. We have been to Bonaire over a dozen times.

Our current lights tuck into our reg bag inside our generic duffle luggage.

At one time we dragged around a pair of RCD8's. They took 8 D cells. Big and heavy. At the end of the week we always gifted the D cells to someone as they had lots of juice left but were just too heavy to drag home.

P.S. I always tape over the end of the battery so that my lights can not turn on during transit. I would hate to have a dead battery on arrival.

So, I understand that spare batteries must go carryon only and must be short circuit protected. My Li-Ions go individually in baggies.
What I am not so sure on is:
Is it OK to have the batteries in the light
-a- in carryon?
-b- checked?
Are there any requirements there (some lights overheat if they were to be turned on inadvertantly or by an inspection....)?

Asides of rules, what have you found from inspections:
Is it better to leave the batteries in the light to be able to demonstrate it's a working light - or is it better to have the out?

I leave the batteries in the light, turned upside down so they can't be turned out inadvertently, and check the light. SOLAs are put into "hibernate mode" and switch turned 90 deg to prevent movement. Also checked. Spare batteries are all in carry-on, but in containers or taped or bagged or otherwise made so they cannot short out.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf
Note 1: the rules from TSA/FAA are about lithium batteries, but the recent rules from the airlines just say "batteries," so I no longer put alkaline spares in my checked luggage.
Note 2: this is for Bonaire. For Mexico, good luck. their rules are either backwards, or change hourly, and are inconsistent between different airports. It appears to be set up so they can easily steal your spare batteries. :(

We just flew to Bonaire today. Took our large can lights and good backup lights with us on our carry-ones. They searched and looked at the can lights but no issues,other than hubby's was positive for gunshot residue in his briefcase,which he carries to and from work with a weapon. ( weapon gone of course but still a touch of residue on the swipe test). They had no issues other than he got the full body pat down.

I took my XTAR D26 lights attached to my harness in my carry on bag when I went to St. Martin. No issue at all.

I once checked a dive light and they must have taken it apart and lost the head with the LED. The light was useless and had to be thrown out.

Back
Top Bottom