The Self-Defense of Air Sharing - Why long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$120? They don't sell costume gis at Don Quijote?
That's a good suggestion...was only able to find these on AliEpxress...Locally, they were twice as much.

That WAS funny. But instructive. On land, you can talk and "bully", and be understood even if not "appreciated". In the water, not so much..

In my limited and no-cave-ever diving, I've really only had to share air once. And needy guy (not my buddy, but his buddy not nearby) did something I was truly grateful for-- he didn't wait til he was down to 100-minus and his reg was breathing hard, while panic set in, to start "throat-cut" signalling me....

Instead,.....

He signalled me at 400psi, with the fist-chest pounding thing!! Brilliant!! So I had time to toodle over to him while getting my medium-hose Alternate reg into my hand as I finned over towards him (yes, my dorky beginner rig with short primary and not-very-long secondary), with right hand, reg, and bubbles therefrom extended so he couldn't miss it, as i approached. And he took it, politely, "just like the Manual says"!! Who knew?? ;-) I had about 800 and we weren't that deep, so we ascended and as we got to safety-stop depth, we both leveled off, and un-switched. We both had enough air for a short stop, then surfaced.

I learned from this, and on a trip much later on when it was me who messed up and unrestimated air consumption on a first dive, in a current while ascending, had to do the same thing, and I remembered that signal. So i was pretty low, but I got the share just in time, and we made the ascent okay.

Live and Learn.. or, in diving, "learn and live" is better.

The Self-Defense of Air Sharing - Why long hose?
Complete exploration of the philosophy and practical reasons for long-hose primary use for scuba diving. There is a beach demonstration as well as a Karate Kid/Cobra Kai parody to send the concepts home. Enjoy.

A note on the Karate Tournament skit that can be found at 8:30. The Karate Kid/Cobra Kai skit was a real milestone for me. I had that skit in mind for at least 4 years. I’m happy with how it turned out, but was a costly 1 min and 22 seconds of video in terms of both time and money: 2 months and $120 costume planning/shopping/waiting; 2 months video filming spread out over 3 locations; 2 hours of filming/costume changes; $40 of Fiverr assistance fixing green screen and sound problems; and 4 days of total editing and green screen work.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

I wish for some of the funnier stuff on here there was more than just a like button. That was pretty good, very funny and informative.

When I was a new diver, I hated the jacket BC, it was too cluttered. I wanted a streamlined harness instead. But at that time I didn't know that there was anything else besides the jacket BC.

When I was a new diver, I had a reg free-flow that no one could stop, and I had to do an actual OOA air share with my wife. I wondered why the hoses were so dang short. I thought that my OOA would have much easier to manage with a longer hose. But at that time I didn't even know that the long hose existed.

Then I found the BP/W and the long hose. My life has not been the same since.

Back
Top Bottom