The SAGA of my tank purchase...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Good Morning All:

Well, after several long MONTHS of waiting, I finally got my new tanks! Initially, I ordered 2 of the PST HDG 100s from LDS #1. They said "two weeks, no problem" (this was about September 8th). I reminded the shop about PST's "situation" but they said their supplier "has them in stock." 2 weeks go by, NO tanks. I call LDS #1, "the supplier says they are shipping them tomorrow." 2 MORE weeks, still no tanks. Call the shop again, "supplier says they are one the way." 1 week later, two Faber 95s and three 130s show up.

By this point, I can live with the Faber. Looking at both cylinders, I decide on the 130 but they can only give me one because they sold the other two! GRRRRRR! OK, so I re-order another Faber 130 and, of course, LDS #1 says: "the supplier says one or two weeks." Two weeks go by, "the supplier is closed down for DEMA, they can't ship until after that." DEMA comes and goes. Two more weeks, still NO tanks. LDS #2: "we don't know what's going on." Me: "thanks, please cancel my order."

OK, so now I have one Faber 130. So, I go on line to look at specs and prices, (BTW, an excellent source for a spec sheet on tanks is this site) and decide that low pressure and Worthington is probably the better way to go. The Faber HP 120 (3180+ PSI, -16 LBS full, -7 LBS empty !!) attracted me, but with my current gear set up doubling them would mean -32 LBS on entry with a 60 LB wing and that's just TOO heavy. So, I look at the on-line prices and go to visit LDS #2.

I previously visited LDS #2 and didn't get very good service, but this time I met with the owner who was a HECK of a nice guy. We talked extensively and I finally ended up ordering 4 of the Worthington HDG L8-121's (2400+ -9 LBS full, +1 LB empty) with a Thermo manifold for the doubles and Thermo H's for the singles (all 300 BAR DIN). I bought locally (again) because LDS #2 was within $50 of the on-line price and I still like a good relationship with a LDS. The owner of LDS #2 also told me he'd let me use FREE rental tanks if my tanks weren't here in one week (he ordered them from Sea Pearls, AKA "Lead King" on this board). I also ordered Highland Millworks bands for the doubles.

So, one week goes by and RING, "hey Drewski, your tanks are here." SWEET GOOGLY MOOGLY! (can you tell I was happy?) In the car I went, driving like a FOOL down to LDS #2. Sure enough, all 4 were there and in the process of being filled. Unfortunately, one of the tank neck "O" rings in the doubles was leaking (even after break down and re-assembly) so they needed to sort that out. But, I took home the singles last night and I'm picking up the doubles at lunch. I'll try to hit the pool tonight and see how they work. I played with the regulator set-up last night to sort the hoses out (I use OMS R-250s, 5' octo hose for OW and single SPG). My plan is to use the singles for most diving, the doubles for below 130, deco and cave (if I start cave again).

This model of cylinder is LONG, but I'm 6' 3" and built like a hairy gorilla, so I'm happy with them. I also shied away from the more negative LP cylinders because the water's pretty warm in NC during the summer and potentially it would make me heavier than I want. So, that said, it's time to go diving!

Thanks for reading my rant...

Double LP121s? Good gracious those things are ginormous.
I've heard issues with the tank neck o-rings leaking on tanks that have the purple o-rings standard. Turns out usually they only leak when the valves are not put on with enough (aka proper) torque. Might want to mention that if they haven't fixed it yet.

SparticleBrane:
Double LP121s? Good gracious those things are ginormous.
I've heard issues with the tank neck o-rings leaking on tanks that have the purple o-rings standard. Turns out usually they only leak when the valves are not put on with enough (aka proper) torque. Might want to mention that if they haven't fixed it yet.

Had a dive buddy need to hold up a dive last summer due to the dreaded purple O-rings..The proper turque WAS applied, but I think it was a bad batch....I opted for anything BUT purple on the tank I just purchased!

Sounds like you got it covered Drewski. If this happened in Va. Beach I am sure of who you talked to & he is one heck of a guy. I am very surprised you did not get good service on your first visit. I tend to frequent that shop & they tend to bend over backwards to help me out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom