The Rules of Salvage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well far as I'm concerened, if it isn't in a protected sanctuary or nailded down..............................it's mine

Here's a place to start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiralty_law
I don't know what you're salvaging but if it has oil or gas and you release them, big trouble. Has the original owner abandoned it, are their liens, was the vessel under arrest? Some states have claimed older wrecks as their property.

Waatch out for them INSURANCE Companies!!!

It will depend on what state or federal laws are observed in the area where you plan to salvage materials. Each state has different laws regarding rights to these materials if found in their waters. In Texas where I live, if the ship is older than 50 years, it is considered historic and belongs to the state. Other states like Florida, will work with the salvors and it would probably be split. There are also federal guildelines like the Abandoned Shipwreck Act. Other countries have their own guidelines. Bottom line, find out what laws are in affect in the area in question before you salvage anything.

L

What about international waters?

Maritime Law watch out for the insurance companies.

Back
Top Bottom