the right length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccaigk1

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey folks,

Im in the process of putting together / ordering all the extras that go off of my 1st stage, wanted to do a census and see what hose lengths people tend to use. Here goes, my atx100 has the factory 29" hose. I wanted to put my primary 2nd on a long hose ( long enough to give to an out of air buddy) and put my backup 2nd stage on my b/c for personal use ( you guys call it a bungie setup right?) being a newbie and planning on diving the mid-atlantic region, seeing its home base, people i talk to ( rec and tech) swear by this setup. What do you all think are the proper hose lengths ( or the most common) for a bungied back-up and share-able primary? A thousand thanks for you patience.

regards,
the newbie

i use the std hose on my bungeed 2nd. it goes over my right shoulder to my neck & does not get handed off.

My primary is what would be taken/handed off. I have a 44 inch hose on it, routed under my arm with a Scubapro 120 degree swivel at the 2nd stage. With my setup a few more inches would be better, say a 48 inch hose. I can feel a bit of resistance when I turn my head to the left.

That's assuming you're not going to go DIR and do the 7 foot down, around, up & around the neck deal. I'm not a DIR diver, nor doing penetration, caves or overhead environments. Just OW, so for me a hose long enough to hand off & give us a bit of room to work with is fine.

7' and 5' are the common hose sizes for divers who plan on donating their primary reg (long hose). I use a 7' on both my single and double rigs. My wife uses a 5' hose. I can use the 5' for single tank diving, but I find it a bit short due to my size (6'2", 200lbs.)

If you decide to go the "long hose" route, have someone show you the proper routing so you understand it correctly. I've seen people with double wraps of hose around their neck and other crazy things. Also, you need someone to show you how to deploy the reg safely. It's not rocket science, but you need to get comfortable with the excess hose while deploying and stowing.

W

mccaigk1:
....put my backup 2nd stage on my b/c for personal use ( you guys call it a bungie setup right?)

I'm not sure by your description if you understand the bungee backup. The bungee is secured to the 2nd stage and worn around your neck like a necklace. A bungee backup is not secured to your bc.

marc G....

am i right when i say that a bungied back up is for the diver assisting the out of air buddy, and that the bungied back up is worn around your neck with a shorter then normal
hose? A little confused here :0

Yes, you are correct. The diver assisting the OOG diver donates his long hose primary and goes to the secondary around his neck. The hose on the bungied backup is typically on a 22" or 24" hose.

Perhaps you'll find this link useful:

http://www.sfdj.com/fall/

Check the Hog, and 2 DIR articles.

Also, have a look on the hogarthian subforum on this board. It should help you.

:)

Good luck

Bjorn

The bungied backup is your backup not the backup for an out of buddy. With a bungied backup you donate the regulator in your mouth to your buddy, and take the one around your neck for yourself.

The advantage of this is that it is hard to lose a bungied backup that is a few inches below you chin. And the out of air diver is guarenteed to get a funtioning regulator.

I use a 33" hose on my primary to give me more slack for turning my head to the left, and a Air-2 for backup. It works good for me.

I have a 5' primary and a 24" back-up for my singles rig and a 7' and 22" for doubles. If you're really interested in this configuration, find someone local to show you how to set it up and route everything before you dive it. You'll also want to practice the OOA drills to make you sure you understand how it works.

The most common error I see is someone bungeeing the long hose primary around the neck and having a standard octo... HUH!?!?!

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom