The Report - USS Oriskany 8/4/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RV

Contributor
Reaction score
Saturday, Aug 4th 2007.. we arrived at the dock at 0600, 30 minutes late by the way, to board the Y-Knot for a trip to the USS Oriskany. Filled out some quick paper work then loaded our gear and small cooler on the boat... After clearing up a small misunderstanding, I had entered 2 as the # of dives I'd been on before this, we watched the sunrise as we headed out. It was just way to early to be filling out paperwork. The weather was perfect. We were so lucky the low moved out of the area. The ride was smooth and fast. We saw a few flying fish and dolphins on the way out.

We were the first to arrive at the O. On our first dive we had the Oriskany all to our selves. Once the six of us were in the water we began our descent. There were fish everywhere. 3 or 4 barracuda greet you around 20'. At 110-120' I saw little things (jellies of some sort I assume), they glowed bright blue, I mean BRIGHT blue. When I got near one it turned it's light off and scooted away.. They were lots more below 140'. Anyone know when they were? Anyway, we headed back up and circled the island and when we made it to a deck at around 80' we saw the octopus.
IMG_0292copy.gif

We circled the island once more on our way up to the flag and the ascent line and came across this guy.
IMG_0299copy.gif

At about 40' on the our way up the line, the DM swam by. http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r189/HoggieEater/IMG_0312.jpg.
Other divers from other boats were beginning to enter the water as we exited.

The one hour SI was nice and leisurely. The DM told us a few stories about the day they sank the O. One about a guy on a jetski that made it out there and another group on a pontoon boat. The captain strapped on his gear and hit the water during our SI. We didn't think anything of it until he surfaced with and extra fin. He explained that he'd given it to his GF a few weeks ago and she lost it on the it's first dive. He retrieved it from the sand @ 218'. As we were finishing up our surface interval we could see a black cloud of smoke as one of the cattle boats approached...

The second dive was much like the first but no octopus. Near the end of out second dive the cattle boat finally arrived and spewed what seemed to be 100 divers into the water (it was probably more like 20).
I took a picture of all the bubbles as they swarmed below me...
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/79465/cat/500/ppuser/66091

It was a perfect morning and we were back by lunch.

Great report, sounds like there are still octopii on the big O!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Great report, sounds like there are still octopii on the big O!
yep, if you get there early enough, before all the diver scare them away:D

I still want to know what the bright blue thing were...

I just saw a picture of a "Blue Angle" and it reminded me... Also during the SI we got to watch a couple of fighter jets dogfight and practice stalling out a few mile to the south..it was pretty cool..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom