The Reef/Tiki Lake is now called 288 Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teknadv3x

Contributor
Reaction score
I was in the South Houston area doing a assesment dive of the training platforms for the new owner of a scubapark called 288Lake formely ........The Reef & Tiki Lake. He has really cleaned up the place and is going to be seperating the divers from the swimmers & picnic people with different entrances & barriers . He understands that the 2 do not mix well. The vis was outstanding for a manmade lake 40' deep. At 15' of depth on the west & south banks where the hydrila is it was sporting up to 30 ' vis below that it was 6-10'. I did a DPV run around the perimeter of the lake there is just tons of life, it was like diving in a giant aquarium. He says his grand opening will be memorial day weekend and hopefully will have it open for diving a few weeks before that. He is getting a website together www.288lake.com it is not up & running yet but do keep checking from time to time..

So lets see in the Houston area one can go divng @ Twin lakes, Blue lagoon, Lost Lake, 288Lake and soon to be Mammoth Lake. Oh, also there is a few sneak dives that we cannot mention of course.

Safe Diving
Dave

Sounds good to me!! If I have to dive in one of the mud holes in town to get some quick practice, the closer the better. Hopefully this new owner will make a go of it.

Thanks for the notice, Dave. Who's the new owner/manager? Is he going to have air fills? What about the other amenities?

Just curious why if you live in Houston you dive anywhere but the Gulf?
It is what 50 miles to Galveston. I would much prefer the Gulf to a mud hold or rock quarry.

1. What were the temperatures like, Dave???

2. Thanks for the info, by the way!

3. Dutchman, where do you go doving in the Gulf, besides the overnight, livaboard Flower Gardens? I would so love to get into diving around the Houston area.

4. How do I join one of your diving clubs, if applicable?

Lack of access to a boat that can go 10-30 miles off shore cheaply.

I dive in mudholes cause the weather doesn't let me get offshore all the time.

I guess that I am just lucky to have my own boat so I get offshore everytime I get a chance. But with fuel cost I am not sure if I will be able to go as many times as I would like to this summer.

My dad will be retiring in a few years and has thoult about get a bigger boat to run spearfishing/dive trips. The only problem I am seeing is that I don't think enough people that would be willing to pay for to run out 20+ miles for 2 or 3 rig dives.

Hey michael,

1. How much would it cost if 5 divers went with you (total 6 persons) if fuel were split 6 ways?

2. How much would it cost if 5 divers went with you (total 6 persons) if fuel were split 5 ways, where you don't pay for fuel to account for maintenance costs you incur?

Would the dives be made with half the divers staying on the boat while the other half are in the water, vise versa?

I am in Dallas but would make the trip.
Guess I assumed there was some short diving from Galveston or Freeport. The pits just scare me with all the students and low vis.

MichaelBaranows:
I dive in mudholes cause the weather doesn't let me get offshore all the time.

I guess that I am just lucky to have my own boat so I get offshore everytime I get a chance. But with fuel cost I am not sure if I will be able to go as many times as I would like to this summer.

My dad will be retiring in a few years and has thoult about get a bigger boat to run spearfishing/dive trips. The only problem I am seeing is that I don't think enough people that would be willing to pay for to run out 20+ miles for 2 or 3 rig dives.

i would be interested if you put this together. How often would you be thinking of making runs out. 20 Miles out are you thinking overnite or just day trips?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom