The question is not HOW DEEP? ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no offense taken at all. My "other half" is an extended range instructor (TDI) and is planning on taking Trimix and rebreather classes later this year. He LOVES the deep stuff. I just don't feel comfortable with a "ceiling" at this point..I just like to go down and look at the pretty fishes!

Unfortunately, in Guam it is VERY easy to go deep (Marianas Trench is just a few miles off shore). You can walk in off the shore, and after a short surface swim get down to 400ft if you want.

I've known alot of guys (mainly military) that try to go as deep as they can..just to see if they can do it. Last year 2 of them never came back up. Went to 300ft on a single tank. Just because they could. They were open water divers and were using rental equipment but had their own boat. Never found the bodies, but one of the BCs washed up on shore, and the tank still had air in it. Nobody knows what happened (maybe narcosis?), but any way you look at it, it was a tragic.

Deep is great (I guess) IF you are trained for it. But, I have to admit, even though my baby has been diving for 15 years, I still get nervous when he does tech diving. Guess I'm just paranoid.

scubabunny, I understand completely. My other half still gets a bad case of nerves when I do something deep. I'll tell you what I told her. Even if you never do a dive below 130FSW, take a deep air or extended range course. At least you be well informed and nervous at the same time. And I feel better when I'm down there knowing that she knows what I'm doing and what all of my contigencies are for an emergency. Deep is very scary, the minute we switch to trimix there is no quick way to the surface. When you take a trimix course you learn to NEVER, EVER under any circumstance, GIVE UP. Where there is life there is hope. Where there is hope there is a chance. And a chance is all I need to survive.

Try the course. You'll like it, even if you never do the dives.

Well, I know I can get the classes for free (or else he won't get any dinner or ANYTHING ELSE! :wink: )

Still don't feel like I'm ready for them..yet. While I don't think he understands my fears..he hasn't tried to push me into extended range. I am planning on doing advanced nitrox..think that is very useful. But, those dual tanks are sooooo heavy!! Can I do extended range with two smaller tanks?? Or..does that just defeat the purpose? I know, they are lighter once you are in the water..but its getting TO the water that is my concern! I know...I'm a wuss!

BTW...his dual tanks are NB80s. Can it be done with C60s?

I don't see why not. The point of doubles is redundantcy. Once you've worked out you RMV (breathing rate) you know what depth you could safely operate to and return from with 1/3 of your gas.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom