The Pioneer of Diving in Raja Ampat, West Papua, Indonesia | 4K VIDEO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max is a very special man. Don't confuse him with anybody else! (I hope you don't mind but I posted a link to your film on Undercurrent's Facebook page.)

What's it like getting in and out of Raja? Looks like it's quite complicated. I see a trip to Sorido in my future. Looks amazing.

What's it like getting in and out of Raja? Looks like it's quite complicated. I see a trip to Sorido in my future. Looks amazing.

You mean now? Or in a non-COVID environment? There were MANY such discussions beforehand.

In short, you have to get to Sorong, a city on West Papua, Indonesia. You can come from Bali or Jakarta and maybe from Singapore through Makassar (not as developed an airport as Bali or Jakarta). Most LOBs and resorts will pick you up in Sorong.

Unfortunately, from Sorong you cannot go further East to more diving opportunities. you ave to come back to Bali or Jakarta or another international airport.

Bali and Singapore are good tourist destinations in themselves. Jakara, not so much, but there are things to see on Java.

One more thing to keep in mind: travel in Indo is not as reliable as that in the West. Many people (myself included) choose to spend a night in Sorong before embarking on a boat so as to protect themselves from problems if their flight to Sorong is delayed.

Many people (myself included) have found the Indonesian people to be some of the most friendly and easiest to get along with in the world.

Many people (myself included) have chosen to drag a bottle of liquor or wine to Indo because booze (of any type) is expensive and hard to get. Most resorts and LOBs will provide it for a price though.

It will be nice when we can get back to the regular back-n-forth over which flights and which hotels, etc. are recommended in Indo !

- Bill

You mean now? Or in a non-COVID environment? There were MANY such discussions beforehand.

In short, you have to get to Sorong, a city on West Papua, Indonesia. You can come from Bali or Jakarta and maybe from Singapore through Makassar (not as developed an airport as Bali or Jakarta). Most LOBs and resorts will pick you up in Sorong.

Unfortunately, from Sorong you cannot go further East to more diving opportunities. you ave to come back to Bali or Jakarta or another international airport.

Bali and Singapore are good tourist destinations in themselves. Jakara, not so much, but there are things to see on Java.

One more thing to keep in mind: travel in Indo is not as reliable as that in the West. Many people (myself included) choose to spend a night in Sorong before embarking on a boat so as to protect themselves from problems if their flight to Sorong is delayed.

Many people (myself included) have found the Indonesian people to be some of the most friendly and easiest to get along with in the world.

Many people (myself included) have chosen to drag a bottle of liquor or wine to Indo because booze (of any type) is expensive and hard to get. Most resorts and LOBs will provide it for a price though.

It will be nice when we can get back to the regular back-n-forth over which flights and which hotels, etc. are recommended in Indo !

- Bill

I don’t drink so no issues with that. I presume Post-Covid in 2022 although who knows. I’ve been to Indo and love the diving and people. (Asides from an issue at Manado Airport where the customs folks mistook my Metformin meds for cocaine).

Time is not an issue so I’ll take your advice and spend sn extra night in Sorong. I’ll search previous posts to get other travel insights.

If you're coming all the way anyhow, and if you chose Singapore, Manado, Sorong, then dive Bangka and/or Lembeh too.

If you're coming all the way anyhow, and if you chose Singapore, Manado, Sorong, then dive Bangkok and/or Lembeh too.

Done Lembeh and N. Sulawesi. Best diving I’ve done in 40+ years. Want even better! I spent many business trips in Singapore. Fun city but purely a gateway these days.

Actually before pandemia you could fly from Sorong to Ambon, Manado or even Kaimana which can give you other options for more diving coupled to R4 taking place in either N/Sulawesi, Ambon bay/Lease islands or Triton bay.

Actually before pandemia you could fly from Sorong to Ambon, Manado or even Kaimana which can give you other options for more diving coupled to R4 taking place in either N/Sulawesi, Ambon bay/Lease islands or Triton bay.

R4 ?

Max spends a lot of time in Sorido Bay Resort as far as I know. We met him a few times there. He is a devout 7th-Day Adventist which is why they don't dive (or do anything) at Sorido Bay on Saturdays.

- Bill

Regarding diving on Saturdays, this is correct that they do not do organized diving during the day, but they do night dives on Saturdays. In addition, diving at the house reef with a buddy could be done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom