The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gedunk:
I like to exhale a little air into the bag to get it under control and vertical, then give a slow purge.

I'll have to try that ... getting the bag under control always seems to be the hardest part ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I'll have to try that ... getting the bag under control always seems to be the hardest part ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:eyebrow:
Its never good when your buddy has to cut you out of your own SMB ..... embarassing as heck!
:wink:

First to soggy - GI3 not part of GUE, have you seen the latests DIR DVD released by GUE, who is that superhero doing the demonstrations.

Second with SMB filling - we were taught to use the exhaust bubbles from your second stage (as Mike F clarified), that way there is no risk of a purge induced freeflow even in (80 Degree water). Turn your head to one side hold bag above your head and exhale a small breath just to straighten out the bag, then connect SMB to end of spool, the smb is conveniently vertical and not floating around (OR MORE IMPORTANTLY UNDER YOU) getting tangled at this point. Hold spool in outstretched right hand turn head to right side and hold smb above 2nd stage exhaust with left hand (bag not too close it will snag mask strap etc) and then exhale, voila up it goes. No disconnecting inflators or switching between primary and backup 2nd stages.

Now back to the video, I am amazed by the number of people here with DIR rose tinted spectacles who still do not see that when he filled the bag it was under him, it clearly hits chest as it inflates. This is in part what i dislike with DIR, even when something is obviously not correct you all stand together and defend it. I dont know what depth that is supposed to be at but it is only a partial fill, if you were launching that from relatively shallow depth and wanted a big fill on a long SMB, no way would that method work. I respect that many people here have far more experience than myself and would appreciate your positive input if im wrong

Another accident report? Give me a break. The guy is in the perfect position to fin down, which he did slightly. Whether he's holding the bag or it's under his chin doesn't make a difference, he still has a pound or so of positive buoyancy to deal with. It isn't like you have a 1/2 full bag in your hand and suddenly you rocket upward when you let go and it hits your chest.

Give me a break, the video is perfectly fine.

Albion:
hmmm....
http://www.scubaboard.com/t65559.html

This could have ended up as an accident report.

Did you read the thread? Tightening a second stage finger tight is good for cave diving where you may have to switch second stages mid-dive.

If anything, the "change" is one more example of DIR being changing and adaptable.

jonnythan:
Did you read the thread? Tightening a second stage finger tight is good for cave diving where you may have to switch second stages mid-dive.

If anything, the "change" is one more example of DIR being changing and adaptable.
I read the thread, but from your first post you didn't read mine, just hit reply without thinking. I dont see a problem with finger tight 2nd stage with doubles and stage bottles, A friend of mine does this for ocean diving too. But this was a case of someone without the training trying to follow DIR without knowing why, which i realise is not a a direct DIR problem. But with so many people out there reading here and other forum boards that they should follow DIR, then they read this stuff and go about doing something like this. I would guess he was diving singles with only one first stage, scary.

Albion:
First to soggy - GI3 not part of GUE, have you seen the latests DIR DVD released by GUE, who is that superhero doing the demonstrations.

No, I have not seen it, but yes I am aware that George is in the video. Because he is speaking on a topic, does not mean that he is part of GUE. Perhaps I am misinformed, but unless you have facts otherwise........

Regardless, the point of that whole discussion was that, just because George has something in his pocket that he sees as useful for a dive doesn't mean it is required to "be DIR."

TX101:
I didn't criticize it. I only said it isn't needed. I can only see one in GI3's pocket (http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/right_pocket_contents2_r.jpeg), so I can only assume he only takes one. Since I think we can all agree George is a DIR diver, we can probably assume it's DIR to carry one. (and if it isn't DIR, why does George have one and why is someone using one in an instructional movie on the 5th D website?)

So, If it was a critical piece of equipment, you would need two in case one fails. Why only take one?

Because it's not needed.

(you may be right on the fin downward thing though.. gotta think about that one more)
If memory serves me correctly, that piece of equipment that you're referring to in GI's pocket contents pic is used for hooking his rebreather into a stage bottle....it allows him to access a stage bottle for RB gas.
I seem to remember (vaguely) reading about this when some others were curious and asked on another list.
b.
ps. I do not dive rebreathers, so someone here that is more versed may be able to explain further.

BCS:
If memory serves me correctly, that piece of equipment that you're referring to in GI's pocket contents pic is used for hooking his rebreather into a stage bottle....it allows him to access a stage bottle for RB gas.
I seem to remember (vaguely) reading about this when some others were curious and asked on another list.
b.
ps. I do not dive rebreathers, so someone here that is more versed may be able to explain further.

Thanks Brando! We needed a bit of insight here :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom