The only one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Today we had a small group on the boat. When we got to the wreck there were already a couple of navy boats and a dive boat on the moorings. I dropped in and swam to one of the mooring lines that one of the other boats was tied to and waited for everyone to join me. Everybody wanted to see the wreck and in the end that is all that they saw...the wreck. What they missed? There, making its way across the deck, a tritons trumpet. Even the divers of the other groups just swam past. I tried to catch their attention, but off they went.

When we see them they are usually in the sand and you're not able to see the animal. But on the deck! Way cool. It moved pretty fast and was making his way towards the hold, bumped his shell and he changed course. Looking at it I wondered how it made it's way up here. The shell is much longer than the body. Guessing that he was placed there.

I was able to get several pictures.
Hope you like them.

That's a big sucker! What's the approximate size of it?

What wreck was this on? I don't think I've ever seen one of these mollusks, so thanks for letting me live vicariously through your camera!

Thanks alcina :D I feel like such a fool, trying to get their attention...and nobody looks...But I'm glad I saw it:wink:

Amazing creature...great find! Even greater photos!!! :thumb:

I no longer try to get divers attention when I find something neat. Most of them don't have a clue! Their loss....

Your welcome! It was on the Sea Tiger and the shell was about 10" long (25cm) and from deck to the top about 5 or 6" (12 or so cm).
Since I've been here I have maybe seen 3 or 4 in the sand. The shells of most of them were so over grown that you couldn't see the pattern. Plus I never saw the mollusk. So this was a special treat. Here is one more picture - you can see the "trap door"

It's so colorful. I'd like to have one of those shells but I bet it would take an arm and leg....if they aren't protected. They probably should be.

Ah, the Sea Tiger. Wonderful wreck with amazing visibility. I froze my buns off there though in my .5 mil (hey, I thought it was gonna be like diving in Saipan's 80 degree waters....). Is that huge frogfish still hanging out there?

Your photos really let me experience being there all over again (without the arctic cold, of course!). Thanks so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom