The Offsets (Mine LaMotte) Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just got back from diving the Offsets today, and I wanted to post some what's happening...

The Visibility was great. The Main Basin had vis upwards of 20', and the cavern section had vis about as far as your light could penetrate. It really got lit up with my new 21W HID!

This trip was with my Instructor, and a fellow DMC. We were mapping one of the Cavern sections near the ladder. We got some pretty good measurements, and we should be able to put together a pretty coherent map. This section is really interesting, and there is a lot to see. The mesh Ore locker had a bunch of juvenile Bass swimming around in it. Phil- I found out the side passage we swam under last time was only a swim through. It comes out back into the main basin after only about 30'. After we put the map together, I'll find some way to post it here.

We got to the gate, and the former Caretaker Ken was at the gate in front of us, and we found out that he is leaving, and was in the process of moving all his stuff out of his trailer. I didn't want to get into his business, so I didn't ask more. He was a cool guy, and I hope he's moving on to better pastures.

The hard freezes this winter were hard on the offsets. The passage to the little pool has collapsed even more, and I'm not sure the status of the cave entrances. This was my first time seeing this part, so I can't say how much worse it got...

The Cool Room on the far side of the basin from the docks has also caved in. A group of us had BBQ there last October when we did a cleanup dive. The big room had a pretty major roof collapse, and it is now about half the size it used to be. The hole and the lookout are still there, but there is a ledge on the ceiling of the lookout which accumulates a lot of beer cans that looks like it is about to go. Its a shame because this was a really cool spot.

More to come when I get the map...

Tom

WOW, thanks for the report...

I remember talking about the roof of that big room that we had lunch in that afternoon, and how a bunch of us thought that there might be touble there. I am just glad that it happened during the winter while the place was not packed with people...

I am glad to hear that the vis was up. I know that the last time we were there it was not that great.

I look forward to seeing the map...

Thanks again for the report...

Phil

Yup. There was another guy there that I've seen there before. I forgot his name though.

Anybody gonna be doing any diving/mapping there this weekend? I might be up for helping with some above water stuff..

Not this weekend. My Mom is in town for Easter.
Tom

Jerry is the Owner (I think). Ken was the caretaker...

Phil

History
Says Gary Henson was the owner as of 1999

More than that, I don't know...

The Jerry I met lived in a trailer just beyond the gate. He was very nice to us, but I just didn't get the impression that he would be financially capable of being the owner of a quarry. Then again, I could be wrong. The email he gave us indicated Jerry, not Gary, so I assume I'm not mixing him up with someone else.

Jerry is the Owner (I think). Ken was the caretaker...

Phil

Back
Top Bottom