http://www.diveheart.org/

The oceans needs your voice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seagull76:
Hi all,
You will definetely hear more from me, don't you worry.
Green Manelishi I think you are perfectly right in what you are saying about that peoples livelihoods needs to be respected. But I do believe we need some regulation...don't you? What if one persons livelihood seriously affect other peoples livelihoods?
Did you know that Africa is the only continent where they eat less fish every year, not because they don't like fish anymore but because of the illegal fishing boats, whose fish often end up on European dinner plates, are catching so much fish in their water, the small African fishing villages looses their only means of survival.
Environmental Justice Foundation and Greenpeace is currently working with Guinean officials to monitor and catch these illegal fishing boats, and are working to find proof of who buys the fish for the European markets. Next month it will be cyberactivists who act, sending letters to these companies and boycott their products.

I am not familiar with those statistics.

Regulation only effects those willing to abide by the regulations.

Assuming GP identifies the culprits, do they really expect to be able to put a stop to the shenanigans? Keep in mind that what we call corruption is simply the way other cultures conduct business.

Anyone who is thinking of becoming involved in an environmental movement should read Michael Chrichton's "State of Fear"

The problem I have with groups like greenpeace is that it is all or nothing to them....hot or cold. There is no middle ground, but in reality, the middle ground is sometimes the right answer.
I'll give an example.
Greenpeace teaches that eating shark fin soup is bad because shrks are being depleated all over the world. They cite examples like the terrible practice of finning live sharks and throwing the body overboard. Reality is that here in the states, we have a healthy shark fishery. It is heavily regulated, and finning is stricktly forbidden. I would find eating soup or meat from a local caught shark ethical, but thet fail to make that distinction.
Another issue I have is with their anti-whaling agenda. I don't think the Japanese should be able to trot all over the world killing whales either, but to try to stop indiginous people like eskimos isn't right, it is not their fault that the whales are depleted......
I stay clear of helping peta or greenpeace, even though I consider myself an ethicist.

actually i heard the same thing sea gull said

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom