• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

The oceans needs your voice

Discussion in 'Good Causes, Petitions and Solicitations' started by Seagull76, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Solo Diver

I am not familiar with those statistics.

Regulation only effects those willing to abide by the regulations.

Assuming GP identifies the culprits, do they really expect to be able to put a stop to the shenanigans? Keep in mind that what we call corruption is simply the way other cultures conduct business.

2. 1RUSTYRIG

1RUSTYRIG Solo Diver

Anyone who is thinking of becoming involved in an environmental movement should read Michael Chrichton's "State of Fear"

3. fishhunta

fishhunta Angel Fish

The problem I have with groups like greenpeace is that it is all or nothing to them....hot or cold. There is no middle ground, but in reality, the middle ground is sometimes the right answer.
    I'll give an example.
    Greenpeace teaches that eating shark fin soup is bad because shrks are being depleated all over the world. They cite examples like the terrible practice of finning live sharks and throwing the body overboard. Reality is that here in the states, we have a healthy shark fishery. It is heavily regulated, and finning is stricktly forbidden. I would find eating soup or meat from a local caught shark ethical, but thet fail to make that distinction.
    Another issue I have is with their anti-whaling agenda. I don't think the Japanese should be able to trot all over the world killing whales either, but to try to stop indiginous people like eskimos isn't right, it is not their fault that the whales are depleted......
    I stay clear of helping peta or greenpeace, even though I consider myself an ethicist.

4. deeper thoughts

deeper thoughts Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    actually i heard the same thing sea gull said