The Ocean's Most Dangerous Creature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laz217

Reaction score
damsel.jpg

The Damselfish...

Come on now, let's not be ridiculous. We all know the most dangerous creature in the ocean is...

Dr. Bill

Hey Bill,

Read your post completely, including your sig, without a pause. (I sense this was intended...) :)

You're absolutely right scubasean... of course I'm representing all of humankind (not through election... the Supreme Court appointed me).

Dr. Bill

laz217 once bubbled...
The Damselfish...

I was in Jamaica working on an Earthwatch expedition last spring. We were studying coral growth rates and the effect that previous tropicals storms had on the them. During the second week, we were diving by an area right outside Discovery Bay, and in a reef that you could almost say was protected by Damselfish (keep in mind there was fire coral in sporadic places that you had to watch out for). So, we're trying to use a tape ruler to take longest diameter of the coral, and we have to deal with Damselfish attacking our hands, arms, legs, masks, fins, BCDs, tanks...it was somewhat absurd.

As the Jamaican dive master put it "Dey brave, it a good thing dey no get bigger." :D

~Matt Segal

We had the same problem in Barbados with the Sergeant Majors protecting their eggs. Surveying the wrecks became quite hazardous! Actually, the most hazardous thing was being on you back, under the wreck, surveying the underside, with a couple of scorpionfish lying on the ground a few feet from your head. I kept thinking my buddy was going to get a head full of spines...

Back
Top Bottom