The Occidental Grand, Allegro, and Holiday Village White Sands Hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeGT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Some time ago, this forum had a number of questions concerning the Occidental Allegro. and the Holiday Village White Sands Hotel. They are the same resort and apparently have different names. However, Expedia.com just lists them as ŵhe Allegro

In addition to this, who owns the resort? Yesterday, I called the Occidental people, and they said that it was a 50% split. She wasnÃÕ quite about what that meant, but we agreed that as long as the Occidental requests did not book more than 50% of what was available, you could go through them. At that time you could apparently, if they exceeded their quota, you would have to go through Ÿhite Sands?

Since Wilma, we have been staying at the Occidental Grand which is less than a ten-minute walk on the beach to the Allegro. After Wilma under Occidental and then the joint ownership with White Sands, there have been many changes. Many of them are superior to what existed before Wilma. However, it is still has a four-star rating as compared to The GrandÃÔ 5 star-rating.

Concerning diving: Dive Palancar services both the Allegro and The Grand. In fact it is not abnormal to pick up and drop off people at both resorts, depending upon how many are diving. Dive Palancar is a full-service PADI operation (certification, etc.). They use different sized boats for night, deep-water and shallow-water dives. They also offer Nitrox Certification. In addition, I believe that you can also charter a smaller boat if you wish. The only item that seems to be a problem to some is that dive times are 45-50 minutes, but Santa Rosa Wall is only 5 minutes from the pier!

If this is a problem, both the Allegro and The Grand allow private operators to pick up and drop off divers with no charge, as they have for many years. The choice is yours.

Last but not least, remember that the Allegro will cost less than The Grand for a number of reasons. Personally, my wife and I prefer The Grand even though there is nothing wrong with the Allegro.

I hope that this posting has answered most if not all of your questions.

Just FYI- I have dove with Dive Palancar on several occasions and after a couple dives with them I pretty much dove my computer and had no time restrictions on most dives with an exception or 2. Like most shops they need to get to now you and you them and then your good to go.

Happy and Safe diving!

Just to make it easy to know what it looks like now I did a photo tour of the HVWS in Feb
Picasa Web Albums - Larry - The Holiday V...
However there is absolutely no way on earth that I will consider the Grand a 5 star resort, and after staying there in Feb I'm having a very hard time thinking it's even worth 4 stars.
Picasa Web Albums - Larry - The Occidenta...
There was a lack of service in key areas that keep me from thinking I'd return.

I stayed at the Grand and dove with Dive Palancar in January and thought that both operations were very good. Being close to the dive sites was a plus, and I didn't mind at all not being close to town. We went into town twice, and that was really enough for me. The "reservation" restaurants were outstanding, and I felt that the buffets were good too. Maybe I don't have a very discriminating palate, but I never was hungry...

Dive Palancar was great--I was with a group from my LDS and we had 2 boats for our group, with 6-8 in a group. The dive masters didn't limit dive times, and if you used more air than the group, you went up for your safety stop and hung out, or surfaced and the boat picked you up. We dove most of the reefs and also did Devil's Throat, so I don't feel that I missed anything, plus there were 3 night dives available. The dive masters were great at pointing out things, and were very aware of the group at all times.

I am looking forward to going back and staying at the Grand and diving with Dive Palancar again.

Great Photos of the two resorts Cocopo! How did you manage to take the pictures without most of the people?

I started going to The Allegro and diving after I retired in Jan.,1994. It was called The Diamond then. I began with the resort course!

Thanks

Thanks re the photos. As for the lack of people it's mostly due to the time of day they were shot and the fact I try to avoid having anyone recognizable in them. You never know when someone will get upset for having their photo posted on the internet.

Those are some amazing photos - Thank you
I have been very confused as to the HVWS/ Occidental situation. We actually are going in June through an RCI exchange for 2 units at the Occidental Allegro. One thing that worries me is the commentary about how great the place is for kids. I saw referral to the Royal Suites and a friend who is going with us called the Allegro about upgrading to that and they knew nothing about an adults only area. I can't understand how the place can be 50 50 one or the other and they don't seem to understand whats going on. Do you have any idea if its possible to be in the Royal Suites area if you are into an exchange through RCI and at the Allegro?
Thank you

There is an adult area north of the dive shop with a pool and small restaurant?

When we were at the Allegro (since 1994), there were always lots of children who were VERY happy! Did not see too many people during my brief visit between dives. in 2008.

There are a few upgraded units on the beach on the north side of the resort that we we stayed due to the generosity of the person who assigned them to us (before Wlima). It looked like it might of been for time share people. There were some weddings in the area as well.

The play areas at The Grand are a little smaller without slides in the pool and there are not as many children as the Allegro...the children that we have seen are well behaved with their parens as well as the staff. They really enjoy each others company! Some day I would like to go
there with my grandson and my 3 great-grandchildren!

One last thing that I heard from a time/share person... Part this whole joint ownnership thing was related to First Choice and direct flights to Cozumel from England and that in order do this they had to put 30 million dollars on the table for improvements? !

Again thanks re the photos. It's the other hobby I enjoy that costs as much as traveling to go diving. The problem with your question may be that the Royal Club upgrade may not be adult only, but simply a better & more refined area of the resort. You might find this a good read & maybe be able to ask your question too.
Back from Holiday Village White Sands Questions? - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor
The Royal Club section most certainly exists, and I tried to get a welcome package with all of the information about the entire resort but they were ONLY for guests.

My wife and I stayed at the Allegro on our first trip to Coz. We were still getting an understanding of the island. My biggest issues with the property, was that it was a LONG way from downtown and the rooms were terrible.

But as our kids and parents (our baby sitters) are getting a little older, we are starting to travel with the kids more. We have to make some compromises. I have to say that the kids pool, shaded play ground and big beach with easy entry are appealing.

As for food, what good is pollo veracruz when you five year old wants pollo nuggets. Sometimes reality trumps fantasy. Good luck trying to get my seven year old to east pasta in an octopus ink alfredo sauce. Not happening!

This is not what I would book for a guys vacation or couples get away, but looks nice for the family. Hey your still diving in Coz!

The link again: Picasa Web Albums - Larry - The Holiday V...

PH

Back
Top Bottom