The New "Healthy" Cooking Oil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over the past two or three years, the restaurants in my area (KFC, Cap'n D's, Shoney's, Golden Corral, etc.) have switched to what they call a "no trans fat" cooking oil that is supposedly healthier for you. However, every time I have eaten at one of these establishments, within an hour or two I become very ill with nausea and vomiting and the following day I have a bad case of the old Tiajuana Quickstep. It happens every time. Meals eaten at any of the little Mom and Pop diners that still use regular cooking oil do not do this.

My question is this: Is anyone else having this kind of reaction to the new "healthy" cooking oil?

You're eating at "KFC, Cap'n D's, Shoney's, Golden Corral, etc" and are complaining about being sick afterwards?

:shakehead:

:eyebrow:

That's what we have around here. I don't exactly live in a metropolitan area.

Have you asked them what exactly they're using? If so, maybe a google search would turn up an answer. :idk:

I have asked them but they say they get from their respective franchise headquarters and they don't know what it is. At least that's their story.

Sounds suspicious to me. Say someone has food allergies... if asked, don't they have to disclose the ingredients?

Sounds suspicious to me. Say someone has food allergies... if asked, don't they have to disclose the ingredients?

That's what I was thinking. When I spoke to the managers, they were evasive and unhelpful in their replies. When I told them that I (and my family) could no longer eat at their restaurants, they just shrugged as if they couldn't care less.

I avoid any establishment that uses that junk. I make a point of asking if they do and when they proudly proclaim such usage Mrs. AfterDark politely tell them we don't eat foods without trans fats, and leave. They don't care when one or two people do it but if everyone got a hair across their butt and did they'd care. The up side is we have saved a few $$ by not go out as much. We do make some great meals for ourselves at home:drooling::eat: No I haven't gotten sick from the few times I did eat such food.

Trans fat oils contain hydronated (sp?) vegetable oils. Everyone went to them when the decree came down that fats are bad for you.

Then we find Transfat is about as bad as fat.

A lot of restaurants went back to plain old oil / lard etc. Few will go to cooking in Peanut Oil or Safflower oil.

You'll need to consult your doctor, but what you describe often happens to me when I eat a too-fatty meal like ribs (yum) or ham (yum) . . . your body isn't used to the amount of fat.

Still - do not discard the possibility of sensitivity or allergy to the oils. Please check with your doctor.

Over the past two or three years, the restaurants in my area (KFC, Cap'n D's, Shoney's, Golden Corral, etc.) have switched to what they call a "no trans fat" cooking oil that is supposedly healthier for you. However, every time I have eaten at one of these establishments, within an hour or two I become very ill with nausea and vomiting and the following day I have a bad case of the old Tiajuana Quickstep. It happens every time. Meals eaten at any of the little Mom and Pop diners that still use regular cooking oil do not do this.

My question is this: Is anyone else having this kind of reaction to the new "healthy" cooking oil?

My wife the shrink always loves to point out that even lab rats quickly learn not to eat food that makes them sick, yet the typical human male just keeps on going back for more, and going and going (pun intended).:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom