The nearest wetsuit diving to NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,
I will be probably moving soon from Europe to NYC.

I was wondering - could you tell me what are the nearest places to NYC where you can dive in a wetsuit in 1)spring/summer and 2)winter? And, what are the approximate costs of going there from NYC + diving?

I am just trying to get a grasp of the prices to see whether I will be able (money-wise) to dive during my stay in NYC. I don't dive in drysuits :).

Thank you for help!

I have dove 7 mm from May to December.

Check out the Eagles Nest in Nassau County Long Island.

It will take you less than an hour to get there on a Sunday morning with no traffic.

I think Howard gets $80 for a two tank dive, of course that's transportation only.

I dive with a 7mm "Semi Dry" which is really just a wetsuit with better seals to minimize water movement in and out, before that I had a Farmer John 7mm that gave 14 mm where the top and bottom overlap on the torso. I have been fine on all dives except the early season dives where the temp registered 47 degrees on the bottom (average depths of 80-120 ft)...with wetsuit compression I was "a bit chilly".

The diving season runs from late May to early October for the "wet guys". There are some "dry guys" who go out all year round. You're not going to be doing any winter diving anywhere within 2000 miles of NY with a wetsuit.

The Eagle's Nest - New York's only luxury scuba diving boat specializing in wreck diving, offering daytrips, live aboard trips, night dives and technical diving.

Dutch Springs

Dutch Springs

It is a rather nice quarry not too far away from NYC. It is surprisingly warm and clear for a quarry. I was there last July and it was 76degreeF at 27ffw and at 70ft vis.

Thank you!

And if we were thinking *warm* - is Florida the cheapest warm water diving place to get to from NYC (or maybe it is cheaper to fly and dive on Bahamas or some other place)?

Thank you!

And if we were thinking *warm* - is Florida the cheapest warm water diving place to get to from NYC (or maybe it is cheaper to fly and dive on Bahamas or some other place)?

Florida would likely be the cheapest warm water.

North Carolina (Cape Hatteras and South) is a days drive, for the long weekend. Check out Olympus Dive Center. Discovery Diving. Outer Banks Diving.

Check out the Eagles Nest in Nassau County Long Island.

It will take you less than an hour to get there on a Sunday morning with no traffic.

I think Howard gets $80 for a two tank dive, of course that's transportation only.

I dive with a 7mm "Semi Dry" which is really just a wetsuit with better seals to minimize water movement in and out, before that I had a Farmer John 7mm that gave 14 mm where the top and bottom overlap on the torso. I have been fine on all dives except the early season dives where the temp registered 47 degrees on the bottom (average depths of 80-120 ft)...with wetsuit compression I was "a bit chilly".

The diving season runs from late May to early October for the "wet guys". There are some "dry guys" who go out all year round. You're not going to be doing any winter diving anywhere within 2000 miles of NY with a wetsuit.

The Eagle's Nest - New York's only luxury scuba diving boat specializing in wreck diving, offering daytrips, live aboard trips, night dives and technical diving.

And Howard does a mean barbeque, of course you will have to abide by "Klein's Laws" :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom