The name is Jay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jvas

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The name is Jay. I've had my basic and nitrox certs from NAUI for a little over a year now. I didn't really have any idea of where I wanted to go with scuba after my certification (just that I love the water and wanted to give it a try) but my job granted me the opportunity to go to Kona Hawaii on a business trip where I took advantage of the free flight and acquired the 4 dives that I currently have under my belt (morning, afternoon, dusk, and night dive with manta rays all in one day!). This summer me and my dive buddy from my scuba class are planning on exploring all the sites that Panama City, FL has to offer (we live in Louisiana so it's an easy drive). Anyways, I'm very interested in using a full face mask because of two key features: 1. no fogging and 2. no biting down on the regulator. I'm almost 100% certain that I want to go with an OTS Guardian FFM and I've mentioned getting certified in FFM via NAUI to the instructors at my local dive shop but they just said that I "don't need one yet" and that it would be a smarter choice to get my advanced cert first and then do the FFM one. I feel that I can trust them but at the same time I can't help but feel that they're just trying to get more courses out of me (they ARE a business after all) so my question to you all is what route would you take? What are the pros and cons to each route? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Pro's of FFM:
Comfortable
No sore jaw (comes with a ill fitting reg mouthpiece or hose length)
Looks pretty cool

Con's of FFM:
Can't donate primary on most models
Expensive to buy and service
Limited technicians to service
You have to carry a spare mask if you plan to switch to occy for whatever reason
Uses a lot more air

I thought about a FFM as well when I first started diving, ultimately decided it was completely unnecessary and expensive, and not really inline with the type of diving I wanted to do.

My opinion: keep it simple/standard and dive the regular 2nd stage regs.

Cheers

Mike

Hey Jvas,

I just wanted to clarify what Mike is talking about as far as the Pros and Cons of the Guardian and a few other things.

A few more pros of the Guardian would be that :

- No bite down regulator
- You can breathe through your nose or mouth
- No fogging with the mask (the air flow in the masks sweeps the visor every time you take a breath)
- No leaking in the mask (the mask has a semi-positive pressure inside the mask, so even if you pull the skirt away from your face, air blows out and water doesn't come in. Great for people that have a hard time finding a mask to fit without leaking)
- The Guardian is the only FFM with a double seal, we fit better than 9 out of 10 people.
- You have the option of underwater communications if you want to talk with one another. For a recreational diver, this is really nice to be able to tell someone if you are having a problem, or recalling your dive "buddy" if they get too far away or lost. It's also really great to be able to point out things underwater to your buddy, like wildlife and plants that your buddy may not have seen otherwise.
- We offer an online technician course, so you can become your own technician for the mask. That way if you have any issues you can fix them yourself on the fly.
- The Guardian Annual Maintenance Kit is actually cheaper to service than a lot of regulators out there. The kit runs for $69.00 after you become a technician.
- Rated to 40% Nitrox out of the box, can be O2 cleaned.

To hit on the Con's he is talking about :
- With the Guardian, it is true that you don't donate your primary regulator.
- When I am diving any less than 60 ft. I don't carry a spare mask with me because I know I can ascend without one. When I am diving deeper, I keep an extra mask in my BC. Practicing emergency procedures is extremely important with any SCUBA equipment, and we have plenty of training videos to help. You can see our training videos on our website here : Videos | Ocean Technology Systems
- People tend to think that you use more air with a FFM in general which is not necessarily true. Normally, it takes a diver around 3-5 dives to become completely comfortable with the mask (some people takes less). When you steady your breathing and become used to your new piece of life support, people tend to not use any more air than they would on a conventional bite down regulator. If you are using communications, that can be a different story. Depending on how often you talk, you can go through your air quicker.

Just a note, it is not required to take a FFM course to buy/use a FFM, although a lot of people do take FFM courses. We provide numerous training videos and literature that can help you out as well.

Hope this helps. Have fun & be safe on your diving journey whatever course you decide to take! If you have any questions, please message back here, email or call and I'd be glad to help you out. Take care!

I have both the seacure mouthpiece and a reg with a swivel at the second stage (Oceanic Delta 4). Both items have greatly increased my diving comfort. More (good) training never hurt anyone though!

anelson-ots,

Thank you very much for your input, I really appreciate it. I was not aware that one could purchase and use an FFM without presenting proof of such certification. I'm 100% convinced on the mask after reading your detailed pros and cons list and also viewing the instructional videos on your site; I will be ordering my mask soon. I know that gopro cameras can be mounted on the Guardian but I've yet to find good documentation as to how it's done and what components are needed. Could you provide a video or some literature that explains this in detail so that I know what additional components to order and what to expect when installing the camera myself? My local dive shop does a monthly pool night where I plan to test the Guardian with the help of the instructors before taking it on a real dive (just to alleviate any concerns of me not being safe). Thanks again for your input.

Jvas,

Here is some instructions on adding a GoPro to a Guardian FFM :

Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 7.57.18 AM.jpg

The instructions are fairly straight forward and the mount is pretty easy to install, but if you need any more instructions on it, let me know and I'd be glad to walk you through it step by step.

Here is the link to the Universal Slide Rail : Shop | Ocean Technology Systems

Here is the link to the Handlebar / Seatpost Mount : Shop | Ocean Technology Systems

Here is the link to the Hemet Front Mount : Shop | Ocean Technology Systems

Just a few tips for you when you try out the Guardian on your test dive.

- Most people find that it does take a couple dives to figure out the equalizing assembly height inside the mask. I know you'll be in the pool, but it is always good to get that set up so it is easy and comfortable to equalize. When the mask is snug (don't crank it down) on your face via the 5 point strap system, you want to make sure that the V-block is sitting below your nose just far enough away to where you can breathe comfortably through your nose, but also easy to equalize with gentle to moderate force applied to the front of the regulator. If you find it is difficult or impossible to equalize when pressing up on the regulator, the block could be too low and needs adjusting. Conversely, if the block is too high and blocking your nose off the whole time, it needs to be lowered (although I have run across people that prefer to dive this way). This is the most time consuming part of setting up the mask because everyones distance from their nose to their chin is different. Again, just to beat a dead horse, if you find it difficult to equalize, set it the block up comfortably or you may have an uncomfortable dive. Setting up the block may, and typically does, take a few adjustments to find your individual perfect fit.

- We do make longer equalizing wires (you'll see the wire that the v-block is sitting on when you try the mask) so that people with smaller noses or longer faces can equalize comfortably. I actually require a longer wire myself. There are two wires included with the mask, but this one is not. If you find you need one, I can personally send a longer one out to you.

- Take the time and get the mask straps comfortable before you dive. You want it somewhat snug, don't over tighten. Start with the lowest straps, then temple straps, then a little top strap, if needed. The reason you don't want to over tighten the top is that if you want to breathe through your mouth or are communicating often, your jaw will work against the pressure of the top strap and you may experience jaw fatigue. I really stress this because some people want to dive the mask because it eliminates jaw fatigue! So again, just a little top strap after adjusting the 4 other straps.

- Be sure to close your ABV (Ambient Breathing Valve) before your decent. You may notice some water dripping in if you leave it open. If you experience this, look up, press the purge button located on the end of the regulator, and it will blow the water out of the mask for you.

Once you get your equalizing block in the correct position (that is, if you even need it in the pool you're diving in), you have the mask on your face, you're ready to go.

Have fun on your test dive! If you need any help with any aspect of your dive with the mask (or communications if you use those), let me know and I'd be glad to help you out. Take care!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom