The Monitor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeWreckdiver your speaking of The Hunley- it was considered to be one of the first "submarines" and actually sunk a Union ship outside of Charlston. The crew never returned. Clive Cussler put a great deal of time and money into locating her. They have recovered the ship and it is being soaked as part of the restoration process.

Michael Schlink:
NeWreckdiver your speaking of The Hunley- it was considered to be one of the first "submarines" and actually sunk a Union ship outside of Charlston. The crew never returned. Clive Cussler put a great deal of time and money into locating her. They have recovered the ship and it is being soaked as part of the restoration process.

That right. I knew as soon as I heard the name it would come back to me.

I haven't heard of any boats out of New Jersey going there, But I will keep my ears open. If something does get out together, please let me know. This is the type of wreck site that I find to most interesting to dive and I would be very interested.

glbirch:
They brought up the turret a couple of years ago. A fairly major undertaking all things considered.

The turret is being restored here: http://www.mariner.org/. Its in Newport News Va. I highly recommend going to see it if your in that neck of the woods. Its a great exhibit.

There really is not much left to the site. The wreck aft of the firebox is gone. The forward section is upside down and of low relief. About 230 feet to the sand.
I think NOAA will be allowing diving on the wreck this year, but I am not positive - they may have one other session to clean the site up before permitting access. You will need to apply for a concessionary permit.
It is not necessarily an "easy" boat ride. Weather up there is highly variable, and it is almost an hour boat ride just to fully clear the inlet, and then another 18 miles to the wreck.
Margie II out of Hatteras has run trips there before (via the only other concessionary permit), as has the Miss Lindsey (with Cambrian).

Thanks for the info. I have a great deal of info regarding the site and what it looks like. Video from last summer. I may have a "in" to getting permission to dive it. Friend of a friend thing. And as far as what's left I look at it as visiting a battlefield or a grave site, there's more to it than what meets the eye, Probably a little more spiritual or emotional than just a wreck dive. I have read hundreds of books on the "war" dozens on the Monitor. I have been diving 20 years. I would like to combine the two passions. Heck I'd like to swim under and around the Cairo if they'd let me. Anyway I'm going to check into things and keep trying- Anybody interested in going along let me know and I'll keep everyone posted as things go along-Thanks-Michael

Michael Schlink:
I may have a "in" to getting permission to dive it. Friend of a friend thing.

There really is no "in" to this, unless someone else is doing the legwork to file for the permit.

I understand your interest in diving it. It is a landmark vessel. I was in awe the first time I dived it and rubbed the turret where the dent was from the Hampton Roads battle with the VIRGINIA (the same dent visible in the post battle photograph of the MONITOR). Serious history.

If you are really into history you will still enjoy the site. The forward section, which consists of all the crew and officer quarters have been basically untouched. It will be interesting to see how the site evolves now that the turret is gone; there was significant filling-in just months after it was removed.

My in may be that my friend is an U/W archeologist and friend of John Broadwater he has already had a conversation regarding. I understand the permit process and had hoped if we had something more than "we think it will be a cool dive" we may gain a permit- You probably know how jealous I am of you!! How were you able to dive on it, Cambria? My hope is to get a "team" of "professional divers" one of thenm being an archeologist and a pro photographer so that we could at least offer the Monitor our results from the dive. As I 've said I know what's down there. Probably the best souvenior I can have is an autographed picture of the Monitor by J.Broadwater and I'll hang on the hopes of diving it sometime?!! Thanks for all you help-M

Michael Schlink:
My in may be that my friend is an U/W archeologist and friend of John Broadwater he has already had a conversation regarding. I understand the permit process and had hoped if we had something more than "we think it will be a cool dive" we may gain a permit- You probably know how jealous I am of you!! How were you able to dive on it, Cambria? My hope is to get a "team" of "professional divers" one of thenm being an archeologist and a pro photographer so that we could at least offer the Monitor our results from the dive. As I 've said I know what's down there. Probably the best souvenior I can have is an autographed picture of the Monitor by J.Broadwater and I'll hang on the hopes of diving it sometime?!! Thanks for all you help-M

I do not believe that a concessionary permit would be weighed by the merit of any diving - that is the purpose of this type of permit. It is to allow public access other than what occurs during research activities. You would not need any plan, and the dives could be purely recreational.
Now, if you applied for a research permit, and submitted a research plan (archaeological investigation with an accredited nautical/maritime archaeologist as prinicpal investigator), then that is different. It also entails a lot more work and review, especially if any excavation or disturbance was proposed (which doesn't sound like it is on your agenda, but just laying that out there). A research proposal intending to conduct a non-invasive photo-documentation of the wreck should be fairly easy to throw together. I am sure John can fill you in on the necessary requirements.
I participated with the Cambrian Foundation on my first expedition, and under NOAA the subsequent two.

Back
Top Bottom