The Mike Nelson rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been a frogman for awhile and have the warts to show for it. As a result, I've been told that I shouldn't do any more deco diving. This put the kabosh on my double 90's and triple what nots. I started looking around for a smaller rig that would give reasonable air time and be optimally configured for use with a double hose reg. I didn't have to look far, under my nose actually.

Way back when, at the age of 14, I cobbled up a homemade set of doubles composed of twin MIL surplus 38's, USD manifold, homemade harness and Divair regulator. This served me well for several years leading into the time when the Seahunt series came along. Of course, I spotted the set that "Mike" was using and realized that the little set of doubles was probably the best arrangement for a busy actor, easy to sling on and off but was not a type of gear that a real diver would use for situations that Mike Nelson seemed to encounter weekly. Instead of the 38's, a set of double 70's would be the obvious choice, and it was, for me.

Along came college. After that, I got my first real job and purchased my double 70's and very shiny, new AquaMaster regulator, a real thrill. Later came the Navy 90's and I stayed with those for a couple decades, that is until I got the bends and spent a week in hospital, etc, etc. Oh, yes, in between I sometimes used single 94's with Scubapro single hose reg and stab jacket, hooray.

Lately, in the autumn of my years I rediscovered the comfort and versatility of double 38's, particularly for use with my double hose R. Aquamaster. Oh, there is the usual "strapamania" with the Navy harness but overall this is a comfortable rig, easy to don and doff---one hardly knows that it is there while in use.

The centerpiece of this set is the Healthways manifold. I consider this the best of the old style manifolds. It is adjustable in length, very rugged with heavy chrome plate, no plastic parts, a precise J reserve and an excellent high pressure take off. The 3/8 inch port is located on the back of the manifold and is only pressurized when the valve is "on". It will accept an Aeris quick disconnect meaning that I can switch gauge or console in seconds. For example, I can remove the console from my single hose MK20 and place it on my double hose setup and keep my computed profile with me and so forth no matter what combination I elect to dive with.

Tomorrow, if we get some sun I'll post a couple pics.

"I've been a frogman for awhile "

Ah, yes, we are FROGMEN!!!!!! Amphibians, at home on land or sea or beneath it.

Notice the modern quick disconnect used with the 30 year old manifold. Notice the compact and vintage USD console and gauge with the modern computer inserted. This setup is half the size of the standard REACT console.

Hmmm, better make that 40 year old manifold. I have another double set with the same manifold but modern 3/4 nps instead of the 1/2 npt as above. One interesting fact, this set originally came with the Jane Russell style frame, you remember, in the movie Underwater.

I had a tough time getting the valves out for inspection. They were factory installed with pipedope, more like loctite than anything. I used about 200 lb feet of torque and thought I just might break the valve off. Didn't happen. I did have to tumble one of the tanks. I guess there was water left in after the original hydro. The set itself had never been used. Probably had been in storage somewhere before it showed up on EBay.

When the Aeris QD is not in use, especially while diving, it should be plugged. This is done by inserting a 7/16 plug into an Aeris female connector and screwing the connector onto the QD.

What is an Aeries quick disconnect? never heard of it?

Beautiful tanks. That valve certainly looks like a Nemrod valve. I wonder if they were the same?
N

I don't know who made the valve. It does not appear to be a US design but I see no foreign markings. WAG--France.

The Aeris QD is standard equipment with the Aeris console but can be purchased separately. There is a guy on EBay who is a bit cheaper than the rest.

I'm now hearing that the 3/4 inch was made in the US so I guess they both were.

Healthways stayed with the 1/2 inch neck longer than almost anyone else. I wonder why. If I remember correctly, the 3/4 tank neck was pioneered by Sportsways who also invented the "lo-boy" valve. Sportsways was founded by former Healthways employees, who were disaffected, bolted and set up their own shop.

The 3/4 posts are marked "USA". Definitely manufactured by Sherwood Selpac. The center manifold is marked only where the name Healthways is cast in place and that is very prominent. The 1/2 inch posts are not marked as to country of origin. However, both the posts and manifold (which is identical to the other manifold), sport the name "Healthways" cast in place. The reserve valves associated with the two types are very high in quality but are different in design. The 1/2 inch reserve post features a spring loaded detent made of SS which holds the reserve in the "up" position. Clever. The 3/4 reserve post is a typical Sherwood design and features a hardened SS stem which turns the cam. The spring tensioned cam action is sufficient to hold the arm in "up" position. Very nice mechanism, especially compared to earlier USD designs.

Now isn't this some schlitz. The picture below portrays the compact Aeris XR-2 console, a new product. Now, if you look above, you will see a 40 year old console and gauge with modern REACT computer. It is about the same size as the XR-2. People ask me why I dive vintage or modified vintage or whatever. This is as good an example as any. I know what I want and I sure as heck don't want a console with just two gauges that is as big and almost as heavy as a brick. Why did it take 40 years to rediscover the merits of a compact console? The components to install into such a console are readily available.

Aeris didn't get it quite right, not yet. The gauge reads 0- 5000 psi. Now, who the heck needs a 5000 psi gauge? When manufacturing a small gauge, it is encumbent to make the scale as legible as practical. The 40 year old USD gauge has a 4000 psi scale, just right. Similarly, the Aeris computer screen, nice as it is, is too busy for me. The REACT is just right.

Now ask me again, why do you dive vintage?

That's why

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom