The Mighty O is down..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r3schultz:
ever seen a green wine?

Florida Estates Winery makes a Casa Del Sol Key Lime Wine. Looks like pale antifreeze.

http://www.floridaestateswines.com/wines.asp (it's the third from the right in the picture). Also, Absinthe is still legal and being made in France, the Czech Republic, Switzerland & a few other european countries; Everything in moderation I say.

To stay on topic I can't wait to dive this wreck, it's a bit dissapointing that the bulk of it is out of range for most divers but the tower down to the deck should offer plenty to see.

tracker:
We'll see. I did notice that the angle of descent decreased. Speculation is just that.

I dont know if anyone else caught this or not,but look at it this way:
1. Fact the ship is 888' long
2. Fact she was sunk in water that is 212' deep.(give or take)

Most likely when you saw the angle of descent decrease, her screws and fantail had probably hit the bottom.If you watch the Discovery Channel and History Channel,the episodes of ships that are sunk for one reason or another,almost all of the ships that sink stern first (remeber this is where all of the weight is, engines boilers, gensets etc are located.)the ships go pretty close to vertical,before going under and hitting bottom.when the ships length exceeds the depth of the water, something is going to give.in this case most likely the angle of descent.
As a fire dept engineer( the people who drive the truck and pump the water thru hoses) I can tell you from experience that figuring out how long something is going to take is just shy of a nightmare.When I took my enginners class,there was a similar scenario: take a given object, fill it with water,put a hole in it and figure out the following.how long to drain, psi,weight, time, what happens if..... you get the point.That is the short version.There are about 6 different steps to do and they all invlove decimals and math.1 mistake in the beginning throws everything off.I can almost guaruntee that was what happened.It is not an exact science figuring this stuff out.Keep in mind that the ship was planned to sink.She had holes cut in to her sides to help her sink.She had at least 8 20' x 40-50' long holes in her sides and all compartments except a few(to guide the water into certain areas to keep her level, while sinking.
In the mean time I am hoping to get up there in July with a friend of mine and look her over.:confused:

To err is human - to foul up requires a typo:

carlthecat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

I still think fondly of the green fairy in Moulin Rouge... damn she was hot doing her "naughty" dance...

"Modern evidence shows it to be as safe, or dangerous, as ordinary alcohol. A modern-day absinthe revival began in the 1990s, as countries in the European Union began to reauthorize its manufacture and sale"

wow... learn something new everyday. i have to follow up on this for sure.

ah, Kylie Minogue ... in a skimpy dress ... shaking her bottom ....

pass the absinthe

The Green Faerie was Kylie Minogue? I had no idea. I learn SO MUCH from this board!:D

Yep, got it! So, I guess the obvious plan is: We all go down to Florida to drink a bunch of Absinthe and dive down to a sunken Aircraft carrier to look for a scantily clad Kylie Minogue, who will shake her can for us. I always knew I was here on Earth for a reason; I just didn't know what that reason was, until now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom