The lowest temp you have taken your MK25 to.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had an opportunity to get a set of MK25 (only 1st stages) to use on the doubles. I got them mostly for the reason of good routing on doubles and of cause the rule #6 played a major part :)

So I have a question for those who dive them in the lower temperatures, especially folks diving in the lakes.

What was the lowest temperature you have been taking them routinely without free flowing. I witnessed people diving them as low as 39F.

I have an Apeks ATX50 and Zeagle ZX laying on a shelf that I'm planning to use on them. And those are good cold water second stages which I'm very confident in.

I also have a set of Flathead VIs and my wife has a set of Apeks TEK3 which I can dive in Dec-Feb in the icy water with sub 32F surface temps.

The tanks I will be using them with are mostly LP (184 bar) and Alu (206bar).

Another question would be how often do you overhaul them (not because it is required by the dealer to maintain the warranty but because they need it)

Any feedback regarding their performance in cold water would be appreciated :) Thanks.

I've had mine for about five years. I routinely dive them in 45 degree water, and have had them down to 41. No problems. They are supposed to get serviced every year, but given that I haven't had a good system for keeping track of which of our 19 regulators needs service, it's been averaging more like every two years.

I've had mine down to 41°F without a problem. However, I've had several people tell me that they know people who've had free-flow problems. Personally I do not know of anyone who has, so I consider this to be anecdotal. Nevertheless, I've relegated my MK25/S600's to stage bottles.

I also have the Flathead VI's, and have not had an issue with free-flow in cold temps. I use them as my primary and secondary on LP100 twins.

I service all of my regs yearly. I use my iPod to keep track of when the serice dates are due.

**EDIT: Fresh water dives

Last edited:
I had mine down under a thermocline where my gauge read 37 degrees, diving in Fallen Leaf Lake. It was nice and refreshing after the much higher water temps in the shallows.

I had mine down under a thermocline where my gauge read 37 degrees, diving in Fallen Leaf Lake. It was nice and refreshing after the much higher water temps in the shallows.

Apparently the world is full of whack jobs.

:D Just joking :D

Also, please specify whether those temperatures are in salt or fresh water. (I'll take the people who have mentioned lakes to be in fresh water. :))

I have only had 1 free flow of mine. It was kind of a fluke during my Adv. Nitrox/ Deco class (during a valve shutdown drill I tapped the purge of the second stage). The waters I frequently dive is a freshwater quarry & the bottom temps are 40- 43 degrees.

I frequently take mine (mk25+s600) into sub 40F water without issues including below the ice. However, one of my buddies with a similar setup (differences in the model of the S600) has constant free flow issues in the same water.

Thanks everyone. It looks like they should be good for the most part of my diving

Good point about fresh/salt Im doing mostly fresh water.

I have taken my MK 25/S 600 in lakes down to 37 degrees. No problems.

Back
Top Bottom