The last few pieces to my budget nauticam nex5n system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tony.dodunski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,
over the last short while iv been piecing together my first and hopefully long term system and for a shade over 1000$ im down to looking for my last few parts.

I've got a nex5n and nauticam housing with 18-55mm lens and port, but no focus ring. Is the ring 100% necessary right now or can set my focal distance before i dive and move my body? Has anybody improvised and made something themselves?

i also picked up a brand new ds51, 2x6" arms and 3x clamps and single handed ikelite tray. Strobe came with a new ttl cable which is useless for my housing.
Do i only need the ikelite converter and a fibreoptic cable to complete my lighting for now? And there seems to be a fair bit of success rounding down the male ends of a 5$ optical cable from best buy. Where can i find the correct plugs if i want them later on?

lastly lube, all the manuals say, " be sure to only use ikelite lube " or " nauticam " lube, if its only i light shining does it mater? Is there something universal?
i need the strobe diffuser and the last handle ball to finish everything off and id prefer to only buy one lube if i could.

lastly does anybody have a lead on a well priced safety bungee? Be a shame to save all this money then watch it sink to the floor of the ocean!

thank you all

The lube part can be tricky. Get some Tribolube or Christolube and you will be set for all o-rings. Wrong grease can swell and o-ring which can lead to the dreaded F word. Optical cables can be gotten the most cheaply from Monoprice, the plug on the housing side is $3 from Reef. You will rue the choice of no focus ring. You can maybe rig one up from velcro etc, but without it you will not be happy when the big guy comes buy and you have to swim away from him to get him in the shot.
Bill

Thanks Bill.
i understand theres a few different mixes of tribolube, any one in particular?
i think ill have a go at making a focus ring for now, when i finally decide to go home im sure i can build something permanent.
i plan on making a dome port and fisheye my main lens so 170$ goes a long may toward it, or better strobes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom