The Kraken is Garbage by Divers Ready

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to love divers ready. But everytime he talks about anything that's not typical tech equipment, he seems to be incredibly off for me. As if a couple dives will make him an expert on it... I feel like he suffers from typical old man tech diver, this is DIR/Tech and how everyone should do it. There is no space to think or reason outside of that. I feel like that's really a huge disservice to recreational divers as itll scare them from trying anything non tech standard.

For me, diving is a freedom that allows me to thinker and try things for various reasons. As long as it can be done safely, let dive. A lot of people dive for niche reasons and thats super cool. The less poorly trained OW divers that are made cookie cutter, the better for the community. I'm happy alec is on the let dive team. Maybe I should make a let dive channel, I'm still upset XD.

Btw he initially triggered me on his SS1 review which all his cons were BS. Rant over

Seeing his video personality, he has gone a path he wants, and cannot change his opinion, or it would tarnish his reputation (a.k.a. - ego)...

For a long time, my policy has been to not make decisions about a person's character until they've been given the opportunity to right a wrong or more fully explain their actions. Their response to that opportunity is the best indication of their character.

For a long time, my policy has been to not make decisions about a person's character until they've been given the opportunity to right a wrong or more fully explain their actions. Their response to that opportunity is the best indication of their character.
I emailed him this morning... He responded promptly (with a, singular, valid point, and a lot of superiority while trying to "correct inaccuracies" in my email). I acknowledged the point he made (and apologized for an assumption I made), and clarified what he called my inaccuracies, and said I would leave the details out of the conversation I was having with others unless he OK'd it (I don't think it shows him well). I have not heard back yet... but so far his first response confirms my initial feelings on his character.

For what's worth, I hope he proves me wrong.

Respectfully,

james

I’m a fan of Divers Ready and was surprised at the negativity toward James in this thread, so I checked out the video. It’s worth pointing out that his criticism of this regulator (the model and manufacturer of which he made a point not to identify in the video — the OP inserted that info) was an offhand comment that comprised about 30 seconds in the middle of a 25-minute video that was almost entirely about other topics.

An off hand comment that dismissed an entire category of dive gear and bashed a well respected company with little knowledge of what he was talking about. All while failing to answer the question. When the issue was brought up to him the response was dismissive and pompous. He has a huge following (right or wrong), so yep... The vintage community is not pleased with how he handled it and that he potentially threw off countless divers from trying a DH reg with his off hand comment.

Respectfully,

James
I’m a fan of Divers Ready and was surprised at the negativity toward James in this thread, so I checked out the video. It’s worth pointing out that his criticism of this regulator (the model and manufacturer of which he made a point not to identify in the video — the OP inserted that info) was an offhand comment that comprised about 30 seconds in the middle of a 25-minute video that was almost entirely about other topics.

An off hand comment that dismissed an entire category of dive gear and bashed a well respected company with little knowledge of what he was talking about. All while failing to answer the question. When the issue was brought up to him the response was dismissive and pompous. He has a huge following (right or wrong), so yep... The vintage community is not pleased with how he handled it and that he potentially threw off countless divers from trying a DH reg with his off hand comment.

Respectfully,

James

Sure, not arguing with you. Although I would guess that many many more people saw the headline here -- "The Kraken is Garbage" -- than ever paid attention to the Divers Ready snippet or even knew what he was talking about.

Yes, but James makes a pretty big deal about how he thoroughly tests equipment he evaluates. I realize he wasn't evaluating the Kraken DH regulator, but he seemed to have no issue making comments about the Kraken without having dove it once himself. It's really bad for someone in his position to make these kinds of disparaging remarks about any equipment that you know so little about personally. Alec Pierce, who has been diving over 60 years and is one of the preeminate experts in vintage equipment, gave it a rave review. I haven't seen one even tepid review of the Kraken by owners, which has been in use for about 8 years... they've all been quite glowing. Therefore, the reaction to James' brief but damning comments about the Kraken, were swift and quite critical of him. When you have one of the biggest dive channels on YouTube, you simply can't make this kind of really stupid comment.

Overall, I like James and will continue to watch his channel. But given how careful and measured he is normally, I was surprised he made this very off-the-cuff negative comment about the Kraken DH regulator.

Back
Top Bottom