The Homestead Crater - Details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did you do AOW? PADI requires a deep dive. And 55 feet doesn't count, does it, since "deep" is defined by PADI as "more then 60'"...

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

The 'deep' dive was our first dive that day. PADI dive centers in the rocky mountain region have been using Homestead for years for AOW and even Rescue diver for years. We also did a night dive there at 6:30 am before they turned the lights on.

Homestead Crater is deeper than 60 feet, but not a lot deeper. It counts for a deep dive, but IMO, the deep dive should go at least 80 feet, because the real experience of it all is learning how fast you will go through your gas at deeper depths. Diver operators near Homestead have little choice, though, because there aren't many options deeper than 60 feet.

Just wanted to update this thread with my experience last week. It was a surprisingly fun dive, 33 minutes to 20m / 65 ft., which is the most they'll let you do due to altitude (the pass back to Salt Lake is 2,170 m / 7,120ft.). There were quite a few platforms and lines, as well as a suspended wagon wheel that was excavated from the mud at the bottom. But the highlight was the warm water and cool mineral formations. Definitely bring a flashlight, though the DM, Jolie (sp?) brought one as well to highlight various features of the hole. Full rental gear and a dive-along (required if you don't have a buddy) was $78 with tax. Don't be fooled by Jolie's youthful appearance, she has cave training, a ton of experience, and did a great job, especially with my painfully slow descents. They didn't have DIN-convertible tanks but might be able to get some if you call ahead. Nothing corrosive in the water, but high mineral content. The early dives have the best viz, but midday is best for sunlight. Lots of people snorkeling as well, so a place to bring your kids.

It is pretty surprising that you can get "open" water certified in what is effectively a deep pool. I can hardly imagine coming out as such a student to California and having to deal with wetsuits, hoods, sand, surf, surface swims, current, boats, navigation, etc. I don't mean to start a discussion here, I guess that is why PADI makes such a big point that you should get a tour first before you start diving on your own in a new location.

Anyway, it was a great dive, and I would happily go back if I was in the area.

Back
Top Bottom