The Good The Sad and the Ugly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoneStarCJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello ScubaBoard,
The intro-- I have been a warm blue diver since 1988. I have logged 400+ dives in Cozumel, Florida Keys, Caymam Islands, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, and Belize.
I have had the same dive buddy, Annie, on most all those dives.
Annie started diving in the 70's. When I met her she was using the old back back but she has always been at home in the water. She started my Sport career in sport diving.

The title--This pertains to our latest Cozumel excursion and I'll keep it simple.
The good--Park Royal and Aqua World. Manuel and Ricardo (dive masters) took very good care of us old fogeys. They and the crew did everything and more that I expect of a dive shop in Cozumel. They were all very attentive.
I like the boats too. They are perfect for the senior diver. There's plenty of space aboard. The swim platform is close to the water. The laders go three steps into the water. The boats are faster than most "fast boats". The crew keeps them clean.
The ugly--Some of the non-diving other tourists at the hotel were ...plain rude.
The sad--This may be Annies last dive. We're not sure yet. I'm good to go for a few years yet but it's a bummer getting old. We shall see about giving it another go. At some point in their life, everyone will have their last dive for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I know, it is a bummer & sad my friend --when the infirmness of old age and/or health problems finally preclude physical participation in an activity which brought such joy and wonder. . .

To fun memories together and great adventures fulfilled! And may you both still have many more tropical trips together whether just snorkeling -or perhaps maybe just shallow Free Diving now (?)

I'd head to places with less(no) current----ie---anyone can dive LC or Brac, with one foot in the grave.......:)........good luck to both of you in the future.........

Last edited:
Hopefully you two can still get some diving in, maybe do sidemount now?

If I may be so crass, what are your actual ages? (for context)

Have you done a liveaboard? I was on one a few years ago with 80yr old twin sisters. The crew would help them in/out of gear, they'd doff gear in water and climb up without, etc.

Where there's a will, there's a way!

Ray

This thread could possibly be moved to "Basic Scuba Discussion"

Thank you Kevrumbo. Yes this may be a new era for us.
Diver85 thank you but Annie never did fight the current. She lets it work for her most the time and we love the drift dives. (She's cool like that:) )
SCFireman1712 lol I'm willing to try almost anything. Hmm being a fireman maybe I could get you to simply carrry Annie to the boat and during the dive?
evad yes you may be anything you like! We are 60 and 70+ years.
RJP no we never did a liveaboard. Most all our warm blue diving has been from via boats.

I think I know what the real real problem is. We (both) need to work on conditioning. Annie in particular needs to work on overall strength. It's easy to loose when there's no time in a busy life (excuses, excuses, bla, bla) to work out. We're going to start with Yoga and see where that leads.

We are in our 60s and we are also warm water vacation divers that began diving in the 1980s. And we have developed some chronic physical challenges. We are still early stages but things are getting harder; especially schlepping heavy equipment and getting back on the boat in full dive gear. We find the easy diving and valet dive services offered by Reef Divers at Brac Reef Beach Resort and Little Cayman Beach Resort makes things a lot easier, you might want to check them out. Good luck for whatever you decide, you have a lot of great memories, and you don't have to give up the ocean, I plan to keep snorkeling for a good long time.

Snorkeling can be awesome.........especially if you're a shark.

Thanks for the tip Kathy :wink: .
evad I agree it can be awsome. I remember snorkeling and free diving to the sunken airplane at La Ceiba 30 years ago! There was a little beach bar there and beers were a buck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom