The Future Of Scuba Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marcoos1

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a final year Product Design Student at Sheffield Hallam University, UK. I'm currently on my graduation project which I have decided to focus on my love of scuba diving.

I have been doing some research into different areas of scuba diving where I could produce an innovative peice of equipment that will change the way people dive in the future.

I have decided that I want to focus on the underwater navigation for either diving instructors who are diving with a group of unqualified or recreational divers. I have decided to look further into current navigational computers etc and see if I can incorporate a navigational system into a mask either full faced or regular via a head up display to help with navigation to specific dive locations which would be pre programmed onto the computer.

i'm just posting this thread to guys and girls like you who are experts and know the market to see whether this idea is desirable to you.

Any feedback on this idea or of current products on the market woul dbe greatly appreciated.

Also ideas of what you would like to see in the future of diving equipment and technology would be interesting to hear.

Thanks all

Marc Hennessy
--------------
PADA Advanced Open Water Diver (5yrs)

Marc, I love the idea of a navigational (or homing device) aid but not incorporated into the mask. A mask's first and most important job is to keep an air space so we can see. If a mask could be developed that never leaked, would stay put after being kicked by a new diver, never fall off or fogged up, and only cost $40, then you'd have a project.

As for underwater navigation, the time and market is ready for a cool, affordable, wrist operated navigation device that would actually work at depth.

Good vision, good seal, low volume, doesn't break, cheap.

There are a few existing or soon-expected (hoped-for?) products you should be aware of if you're contemplating innovating in this space:

1) HUD computers. You probably know about this, but just for completeness, see for example Oceanic Worldwide - Personal Dive Computers - DataMask HUD

2 ) The Buddy-link, see Buddy-Link: Connecting Divers... In the Blink Of An Eye
Discussed here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-visual-communication-device-corner-mask.html

3) The Navimate, an underwater GPS system, see Navimate - GPS for Divers - Additional Information and FAQ's
Discussed several places on SB, the most interesting is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ions/209714-underwater-navigation-device.html
If you read the website, you'll see that they claim to already have been approached about integrating with dive computers. Given the HUD, well, you're almost there, eh? This product is at least a year late from initial PR, and it may be vaporware.

As to my own desires, I'm very interested in the Navimate. The HUD, not really so much, partly because of expense, partly because it doesn't solve any problem I have, and partly because it limits my choices in both computer and mask. If I was a serious photographer or PSD diver I could see it.

Similarly, integrating the Navimate into a HUD seems overkill as well; I think I'd rather have it in my console, or maybe wrist. You need to control the display(s), so I think that means you're using your hands anyway. Maybe I'm lacking imagination for how that gets controlled. It can't be voice. :cool2:. Tongue is busy, unless you want to integrate my regulator as well ...

Lastly, it's probably not the technology you're interested in, but if there was going to be an innovation in masks I'd be interested in, it would be one that won't fog. We have products and practices that mitigate the problem, but none that really solve it.

See Anti-Fog Glass: Science Videos - Science News - ScienCentral . That article from 2005 suggested a professor Rubner at MIT had a nanoparticle glass coating technology that prevented fogging, and my non-chemist understanding is that it doesn't sound like it would wash away in water. I've been waiting for a scuba mask product, but haven't pursued any inquiries.

Thanks for the feedback, Iv been getting similar responses from other people about letting the mask do what it was made for and not over complicating things. I do agree to a certain extent but I feel maybe incorporating a head up disply better than it has been in previous attempts such as the DataMask would be more desirable.

Thanks

Marc

Thanks reefduffer really appreciate the feedback, Iv had a look at your links and it's given me a lot to think about.

Watch this space i'll be back on here soon to let you see where i'v directed my project and some more feedback would be great

Thanks

Marc

The idea of focusing on diving pros who would be with new divers just doesn't ring solid to me.
Most pros have spent so much time in the waters that they are likely to be in with newbs that they dont even need a compass in zero vis to find something.
I think a maks should be just that... a mask. The gizmos look cool and one day we will probably not be able to buy a mask that does not have batteries but that day is far away IMHO.

Reefduffer gave you a great link to a discussion from back in 2007.

Instead of integrating a system into a specific mask, maybe consider a HUD device which could be adapted to a variety of masks.

One thing which pops into my mind is a hands free, mask viewable sonar device for low vis situations. Wouldn't have go far, 2-5 m is better than less than 1 m.

Good luck with your project and your career.

I was a designer, Institute of Design, IIT, Chicago (BS '73).

I'd go for wrist mounted gps type. Problem with integrating things into a mask is they get really bulky. I don't want bulk in my mask and certainly don't want something as easily breakable as a mask to cost me that much

Random aside, when I first saw the thread I was hoping for something like a contact lens with just enough air space to allow vision underwater. Could be made with prescriptions and wouldn't float out of your eye balls. I hate diving with masks, and I've heard there have been some thoughts about this...

Back
Top Bottom