The future of dive travel vs local diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha yeah I love this. As mentioned earlier I work in the mining industry and when I am always chatting with other divers the what you do for work subject always comes up and of course when I say I work in mining the gasp, shocked faces and I am ruining the environment comments always comes up. You would be amazed at a how many people do not grasp the concept that everything is grown or mined.

It's amazing to me that alot of people do not understand that driving there Tesla to the airport to fly across the world, staying on 5 star liveaboard, eating luxury items like imported cheese and steak, taking fancy pictures and reviewing them on all the electronics, but yet they think they are truly being ecofriendly by using a paper straw and protesting against an oil rig or mine that is trying to open.

The realty is scuba diving is probably one of the most non ecofriendly recreational activities you can do when you think about the natural resources evolved in it. Oh and don't forget about the impact it has on our coral reefs. We are all so worried about our coral reefs but us as divers are destroying the coral reefs everyday just by diving on them. I know we all like to think we have perfect buoyancy and never touch coral but when have you ever gone diving and not seen a mass group of people crashing in the coral, reef hooking, hanging onto coral to stabilize themselves to take close up pictures. It all has an impact on the reef.
There is a bumper sticker I see from time to time that echoes your point.

"If it can't be grown, It must be mined."

Gotta love the greenie hypocrites who do multiple long haul flights a year.
Even that Scandinavian girl (Greta Tintin Eleonora Ernman Thunberg) who sailed across the Atlantic to address an environment conference in New York was supported by two boat crews that flew across. One to return home after taking her to the US, the other to take her back home.

Now we have the electric London Black Cab.

it has a 2Lt petrol extender engine so if a passenger picked up at Heathrow wants to go to Scotland it can travel 400ml befor refuelling. But it’s an electric car. Owned by a Chinese company.

Nissan are also selling an electric car with a self charging engine, because it doesn’t drive the wheels directly.

The best estimates are that aviation causes 3.5% of human-caused global warming:
The contribution of global aviation to anthropogenic climate forcing for 2000 to 2018

That's a pretty big fart. Worth thinking about how to reduce the impact, but I don't think anything drastic is called for.
I wouldn’t characterize 3.5% of anything as “pretty big”… in fact I’d consider that “pretty small”. Definitely not anything I’d focus on if trying to drive an improvement in until I solved the actual big % root causes.

The Woke West is actively trying to destroy it's own oil industry and oil consumption as well as the rest of the world's oil industry and consumption, the rest of the world is doing the opposite.
I do not see the evidence that the US oil industry is being destroyed. Check the data for monthly oil production in the US and you'll see that the latest available number, 13,236 kb/day in Sept 2023 was an absolute record. There was a brief decline below 10,000 during the pandemic, but otherwise there is stable growth from mid-2017. There is some decline in gasoline consumption, which may be explained by better car mileage, the growing number of electric cars and more people working from home (or all of the above); however, this is compensated by the grown in natural gas consumption. You need to burn something to make power to recharge all those Teslas and print bitcoin.

I think the decline in diving is due to the cost of equipment and the focus of the industry on destination diving. When the average Joe/Joan walks into a dive shop and sees $1200 BCs, $2,000 regulators, and $300 fins s/he will have sticker shock. When they see trips to far-off locations in the thousands then they may reconsider and try another hobby. Very few people have that much disposable income to spend on recreational activities.

I think it's the shear incompetence of the average dive shop.

Dive trips getting screwed up. Is it soo hard to reroute to another divesite when one is silted up, or chopped? Naww, let's just axe half the day. Screw our customers.

I have no problem paying good money once. But when a brand new hardly used Faber Hp100 fails hydro because dive shops are lazy, really boils my water. Put 4000+psi in the galvanized tank before you drop it off, and it's always prestretched.

Oh, and if you have a couple tanks underfilled, give them to the biggest guy on the dive boat. Great plan.

I do not see the evidence that the US oil industry is being destroyed. Check the data for monthly oil production in the US and you'll see that the latest available number, 13,236 kb/day in Sept 2023 was an absolute record. There was a brief decline below 10,000 during the pandemic, but otherwise there is stable growth from mid-2017. There is some decline in gasoline consumption, which may be explained by better car mileage, the growing number of electric cars and more people working from home (or all of the above); however, this is compensated by the grown in natural gas consumption. You need to burn something to make power to recharge all those Teslas and print bitcoin.

When wells collapse, or rot closed, you need to drill new. Check the # of issued drill permits.

I got that straight from the horses mouth. I'll be heading back to that refinery next month. Oil is hurting. And our strategic reserve has been stupidly drained (again).

Bad leadership in this nation right now.

And besides the Tesla, there's a ton of E and Hybrid cars in the top 10 most unreliable vehicles list. Rivian, Chrysler minivan, F150, Jeep Wrangler 4xE.

When wells collapse, or rot closed, you need to drill new. Check the # of issued drill permits.

I got that straight from the horses mouth. I'll be heading back to that refinery next month. Oil is hurting. And our strategic reserve has been stupidly drained (again).

Bad leadership in this nation right now.

And besides the Tesla, there's a ton of E and Hybrid cars in the top 10 most unreliable vehicles list. Rivian, Chrysler minivan, F150, Jeep Wrangler 4xE.
I can argue that IRA is unrealistic, and it is likely to be amended in the future, especially, considering that current administration is unlikely to survive the next elections, but you can't blame everything on the "nation's leadership". It is the state of California that had declared it will ban internal combustion engines by 2035, not Sleepy Joe. So, sell your Suburban and buy a horse. Soon we all will ride horses and bicycles, using green muscle power. The horses fart methane, unfortunately, which is a greenhouse gas. So the state of California will ban horses by 2050, I predict. Cows, who fart even more methane, will be banned by 2040. Refrigerators will be banned too, except in the hospitals, because they consume too much energy. Everyone will go vegan, eating only gluten-free soybean tofu, coming in a variety of flavors. "Would you like to have a lemongrass-yogurt tofu or a mangosteen-kombucha tofu before your Gender Identity class, dear?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom