The future of dive travel vs local diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aircraft engines can be run on plant derived biofuels. One of the major aircraft engine manufacturers has now certified their entire range on biofuels. The US military has tested and certified their entire aircraft fleet on biofuels.

There are also multiple flying prototypes pf battery powered light aircraft for that end of the market. Most of these problems are largely solved, it ias now a matter of scaling the infrastructure and the political will to make it happen.

Aircraft engines can be run on plant derived biofuels. One of the major aircraft engine manufacturers has now certified their entire range on biofuels. The US military has tested and certified their entire aircraft fleet on biofuels.

There are also multiple flying prototypes pf battery powered light aircraft for that end of the market. Most of these problems are largely solved, it ias now a matter of scaling the infrastructure and the political will to make it happen.
There are five refineries in the SF Bay Area.
Two of them will stop producing gasoline in the next two years, and they will produce only the bio fuel you mention.
So that means gasoline will get even more expensive around here.

Where are these plants?
How much energy does it take to process them?

As someone who's actually seen the gallon meter on a pipeline spin, I'm skeptical that spinach fuel can keep up.

Gotta love the greenie hypocrites who do multiple long haul flights a year.

Travel to dive is already a rich man’s sport.

Heavy CARBON FOOTPRINT no less than alpine skiing.

Airplanes, dive boats, compressors, tropical A/C plus the residue of transient tourists.

It’s already over, we just don’t know it yet.

Haha yeah I love this. As mentioned earlier I work in the mining industry and when I am always chatting with other divers the what you do for work subject always comes up and of course when I say I work in mining the gasp, shocked faces and I am ruining the environment comments always comes up. You would be amazed at a how many people do not grasp the concept that everything is grown or mined.

It's amazing to me that alot of people do not understand that driving there Tesla to the airport to fly across the world, staying on 5 star liveaboard, eating luxury items like imported cheese and steak, taking fancy pictures and reviewing them on all the electronics, but yet they think they are truly being ecofriendly by using a paper straw and protesting against an oil rig or mine that is trying to open.

The realty is scuba diving is probably one of the most non ecofriendly recreational activities you can do when you think about the natural resources evolved in it. Oh and don't forget about the impact it has on our coral reefs. We are all so worried about our coral reefs but us as divers are destroying the coral reefs everyday just by diving on them. I know we all like to think we have perfect buoyancy and never touch coral but when have you ever gone diving and not seen a mass group of people crashing in the coral, reef hooking, hanging onto coral to stabilize themselves to take close up pictures. It all has an impact on the reef.

I don't see any realistic replacement for fossil fuels with respect to aircraft, we will never see nuclear/wind/solar/battery powered commercial aircraft, although we do have bio-fuels available, which still generate carbon anyway. Some predict we will convert to a social score/carbon footprint allocation/CBDC situation where a person's carbon footprint will be measured/rationed which would definitely impact travel. That being said, the VAST majority of the world is not controlled/captured by the 'Woke West/Green New Deal' mind virus so only the USA/Canada/Western Europe are under it's control. There are quite a few major powers/countries heavily reliant on fossil fuel exports (Russia/all the OPEC countries/Brazil) and the big importers (like China/India) that at best pay lip service to the Green New Deal but it's really just a western fad.
In 2022, the US, Canada and Norway were the world's number 4, 5 and 8 top oil exporters, respectively. As for oil consumption, the US, Japan, Canada, S Korea and Germany were the world's number 1, 4, 7, 8 and 10, respectively. So I do not see any reason to divide between the USA/Canada/Western Europe and the rest of the world.

Well if youse hurry up sort out your stuff with your mates in China and decide where to build the bridge
then youse all can go diving all over Europe and Asia and stuff, reel cheep, when we all go back to these

Rear-Loading-Cycle-Rickshaw-550x550.jpg

I see a future in importing those pointy bamboo hats and rooves for these, so it doesn't rain on your dive gear

In 2022, the US, Canada and Norway were the world's number 4, 5 and 8 top oil exporters, respectively. As for oil consumption, the US, Japan, Canada, S Korea and Germany were the world's number 1, 4, 7, 8 and 10, respectively. So I do not see any reason to divide between the USA/Canada/Western Europe and the rest of the world.
The Woke West is actively trying to destroy it's own oil industry and oil consumption as well as the rest of the world's oil industry and consumption, the rest of the world is doing the opposite.

Conventional plane travel uses an immense amount of jet fuel. A 747 flying 10 hours uses approximately 33 thousand gallons of fuel. Granted, a lot of that is used for takeoff, but still it’s huge. As we move forward I can’t see how this is sustainable in the least bit when you combine all the flights world wide every day. It boggles the mind.
Let’s discuss.
For the sake of argument lets analyze this:

At 10 hours a 747 would travel 5,500 miles, assuming a cruising speed of 550 mph.

33,000 gallons / 5,500 miles = 6 gal/mi

6 gal /mi / 300 passengers = 0.02 gallons per passenger mile (seems pretty efficient to me)

For comparison a commuter with a car getting 25 mpg would be:

1 gal / 25 miles / 1 passenger = 0.04 gallons per passenger mile

So as you can see a 747 is twice as efficient as the car. I even lowballed the specs for the 747 and probably overestimated the mpg for the car. I agree with the poster looking at air travel as a "fart in the wind".

Somehow I can’t help but think that some of the decline in diving is directly related to how the quality of air travel has eroded in the last several years, and also political turmoil in certain parts of the world.

Let’s discuss.
I think the decline in diving is due to the cost of equipment and the focus of the industry on destination diving. When the average Joe/Joan walks into a dive shop and sees $1200 BCs, $2,000 regulators, and $300 fins s/he will have sticker shock. When they see trips to far-off locations in the thousands then they may reconsider and try another hobby. Very few people have that much disposable income to spend on recreational activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom