The Forbidden Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIGG_BUDD:
We called her Miss Monk Seal, although I don't know if she was truly female. :)

She hung around the entire dive, I mean she literally followed us the entire time! It was at a spot called Pyrimd Point. Didn't see any others, in fact, she was the only one we saw, and I feel lucky for that. She had a large circular wound behind her left front fin. Looked like a cookie cutter shark had taken a bite (maybe?).

She kept playing in our bubbles. Truly a memorable experience...

Here is another vid of her later in the dive: www.ulichnie.com/video/BethMonk.wmv

Great images! We picked one up to the SW of the caldera over a large pinnacle. It would orbit around, slowly descend to the bottom and then spiral up after a while for a breather. This was between the first and second dives. There were no seals on the second dive along ledges and through some interesting caves. On the last dive the first seal or one like it and another one with identifying marks bleached into it by researchers showed up. None of the seals hung around for much more than a few minutes at a time. They would visit on occasion however. It is great your seal hung around to play in the bubbles, it does sound like a great experience. Niihau offers intriguing conditions.

I dove this area with Bubbles Below (great operation) a few years back. It is one of the dive trips that I most remember. Absolutely beautiful.

Spratman:
those were awesome photos, Rick! Don't know if I'll make it to Hawaii, but I'm working up a trip to Yap or Truk....Okay, who am I kidding...the wife wants to go to Hawaii.

Thanks. There are some interesting areas in Hawaii, particularly off the Big Island. Has anyone on here done much off of Southpoint? The nearshore conditions are pretty incredible. See below.

I hope you make it to Truk. We had a chance to go there to do a photo survey of the wrecks in the lagoon in 1980. They weren't even going to pay enough to cover airfare. Still, what a missed opportunity.

Some shots of Southpoint.

Southpoint_HI_VR_1s.sized.jpg

Click for full sized image

Southpoint2.sized.jpg

Southpoint3.sized.jpg

Southpoint5.sized.jpg

Southpoint4.sized.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom