The Forbidden Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Monk_Seal_s.thumb.jpg

A monk seal takes an air break on the surface.

I went out to Niihau, an island about 18 miles west of Kauai, Hawaii a while back. The island was purchased from the Hawaiian monarchy in the early 1800's and access restricted, hence the "Forbidden Island." They have some unusual conditions out that way, at least when compared to SE Florida. Monk seals, pilot whales, sharks, great viz., dramatic volcanic bathymetry (pinnacles, walls, caves, etc.) A few UW photos from the trip appear at:

http://fksa.org/viewforum.php?f=38

Very nice, thanks for sharing...I'd like to make that trip some day too....

Thanks! We saw two monk seals perhaps three. They are heavily endangered and solitary (hence "monk" seal). The shots shown at the link were during deco surface interval of two of the three tank dives. The first was to about 110 ft. with the other two to lesser depths to stay within no deco limits.

I was dying to free dive down to the rock shelf this guy was resting on but held off to avoid risking DCS during surface interval. Next time I think I would free dive the lot. The viz and water temperature are optimal for it.

Thanks for putting up the excellent monk seal video clip BIGG_BUDD. That one really hung around for a good long time. Did you see any of the seals with the bleached tattoos? The one I photographed and the one you video'ed didn't seem to have any markings. They have a special ease when they dive, good example for human free divers.

The charter to Niihau costs to be sure Justleesa. Still, I would say it is worth saving up for. We hit some spots around the Big Island, Kauai and Maui. Niihau was by far the most unique with the best conditions, e.g. viz. bottom community condition and diversity of life. I took http://www.seasportdivers.com/ over. They run one of the largest boats and have fewer cancellations due to heavy trade wind generated seas on the return trip to Kauai. It is hard to predict a hole in the trades but if you can swing it, that might provide some of the better conditions not only for the crossing but for when you dive around the cauldera. Some of the spots we hit, are not all that accessible normally due to wind/wave related currents. There was zippo trade wind when I was there, bad for kitesurfing but great for diving.

We called her Miss Monk Seal, although I don't know if she was truly female. :)

She hung around the entire dive, I mean she literally followed us the entire time! It was at a spot called Pyrimd Point. Didn't see any others, in fact, she was the only one we saw, and I feel lucky for that. She had a large circular wound behind her left front fin. Looked like a cookie cutter shark had taken a bite (maybe?).

She kept playing in our bubbles. Truly a memorable experience...

Here is another vid of her later in the dive: www.ulichnie.com/video/BethMonk.wmv

Back
Top Bottom