The flippin pagers DO still work.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well, our nice quiet spell has made some noise.

At 1046 the pager goes off simply reading: "BOAT FIRE SUBJS IN WATER BAYVIEW? This is a bitter sweet call.

Bitter because it's at the north end of the county on the worlds 13th deepest lake which is around 40df right now.

Sweet because if you're going to do something stupid to get you into trouble there are people and boats available all year long. Thank God because those people responded and made a major difference in the outcome.

While in route we learn the vessel, a 21 Bayliner is fully involved and there are three victims. I also learn that the Patrol Tahoe's out accelerate me but I have a better top end. :D

Once I cover the 35 miles and get on scene, 23 minutes later, we learn that two of the three are accounted for. We also had 9 of the 12 team members show up in short order. Due to the location I only had three get suited. It's deep there, very deep like in the 350 to 700 foot range. So I say we can do it in stages. One of the guys pops up and says, "I'll take the first hundred", I volunteer for the second hundred so that left the FNG's to fight it out over the next few hundreds. :wink:
Two of the guys suit up and check the Navy Barge in the bay to see if the missing male may have made it but ended up underneath it. No such luck.

So now we need to come up with a game plan. Due to the anchor cables for the Navy Barge the SS is a very remote option. Vis in the lake is good so I should be able to get a camera down at least to 600. But then what? Even though the boat is on the bottom the two could be hundreds of yards apart.

Oh well, well figure it out. Now we have at least three all within site of each other but just out of reach. I need a Newt Suit.

Now on a lighter side. Remember how your mom always said to change your underwear before going out. She always said it was incase you got into an accident you wouldn't be embarrassed. Try hitting a small patch of ice in an SUV at better than 80 and see what happens to that underwear. It doesn't matter how clean it started out the end result was the same.

During your prayers today send a few to the victim's family and love one's. This will be with them for a very long time.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Gary D.

Here is the sat pic of the area. I zeroed in on the barge but shrink the screen and you can see more. The fire was approx. 700' to the SE of the barge.
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=11&X=668&Y=6642&W=1

Last edited:
Gary is its still called david w taylor accoustic research center or have they renamed it man brings back lots of memorys the barge used to be used for the research sub , we used to do sonar and stuff testing . the water even on middle of summer was usually only mid 60's but usually clear water . I now run our public safety dive team for our county in moore county in NC.

Not much has changed. They are now doing surface craft as well as subs. It's kuel to see a 1/4 size Navy Destroyer going across the lake. Still great diving.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom