The fate of Atlantis X liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelem

Contributor
Reaction score
I did a search on deja.com and found the following article:

Survivor Thailand

I booked the Atlantis X liveaboard (via the Internet) for a four-day trip from Phuket to the Similan Islands, beginning August 1 Bad weather prohibited us from leaving port until August 2, when we left at 6 A.M.. Two hours into the adventure the generator went. Almost everyone on board was sick
from the diesel fumes and pitching seas. Then, the electricity went.

Soon, the crew went below, desperately bailing the water that the non-functioning bilge pumps were not displacing.

Four hours into the trip we reached the Similan Islands, where we were soon evacuated to a fishing boat. Then in total amazement, I watched as the Atlantis x sank in an hour.

The fisherman who rescued us returned us to Phuket where Keith Holmquist of Atlantis Liveaboards met us. We were issued charge backs for the trip that were never honored, but fortunately I paid for my trip with a credit card I had to take the trip this summer or wait a year. I have just commenced chemotherapy. I had a choice of vessels later in the season and would have done so - if not for the chemotherapy. I also had a winning bid on a luxury vessel
called the "Aqua One" which I would have loved, but had to turn it down. I also used 70,000 Frequent Flier miles to do this trip and so I was more than upset when we were told that there would be no liveaboard excursion that we could go on after our vessel sunk.

It was the end of a Once in a Lifetime adventure - although I prefer to think that maybe someday, I will be able to do this trip again. I just don't know when! And, I dread to think how this would have turned out had we left when we were scheduled.

Nansy Mackenzie
Miami Springs, FL

So is the Atlantis X is down under Similan? I heard it is somewher around islnad number 8? Will it become another wreck dive site?

Any liveaboards or day trip still goes to Similan in low season?

Yes, it´s true. I dived there last March. Of course there are many rumours among the local people what really happend. Sure is the vessel did come too shallow water and propably did crash on the rocks. It lies on between 13-26m.

I´m not sure does every liveaboard dive there. I think it depends on the group they dive with.

One thing is sure! If you want to dive inside, take the flashlight with you!

..and It wasn´t any special.. There are many more interresting sites on Similan.

I dived with "Ocean Lovers" on liveaboard called Le Mahe. The boys of the liveaboard found AtlantisX just a day after the accident had happend. Excellent people.

More information:

http://www.phuket-diving-thailand.com

cheers,
Kari

What a tough luck! Must be a horrible experience, but fortunately it did not happen on the open sea...

I dived the Atlantis X last November, just two or three months after it sank. It is lying vertically in front of island no. 8's bay on the dive site beacon beach/beacon point.

There was nothing special to see as it was so new apart from two very curious bat fish and a tame turtle coming in very, very close (almost a nuisance... ;-)).

travelem once bubbled...
Four hours into the trip we reached the Similan Islands, where we were soon evacuated to a fishing boat. Then in total amazement, I watched as the Atlantis x sank in an hour.
That's a terible trip report... just sad :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom