The Downward Spiral of a Dive Op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Recently I returned from a short dive vacation, using the same dive op I had used previously. My earlier experience (along with most reviews of this company) was nothing short of spectacular, but this more recent trip was less than satisfying. While the diving was still good and the boat staff helpful, I was left with a bit of frustration. I had been promised a night dive that never materialized, I had asked for a large tank but was told there were none available (though there were clearly unused large tanks on the diveboat), I was treated with a general rudeness, my dive skills were rather bluntly attacked even before the first dive, and as a whole there was a real lack of customer service from the business end of the operation.

Have you run into this type of situation in your diving, and if so how have you dealt with it? While I still had an excellent vacation (partly due to another dive op pleasantly taking up the slack and offering exceptional service), I am nonetheless left with a sour taste in my mouth...

Never heard of this type of treatment in this country, but not uncoomon outside of US.
The proper way to deal with it is
a) write a polite letter to the operator's owner.
b) complain to local chamber of commerce if ne exists
c) identify to scubaboard and everyone else who the operator is.
You have the power of the dollar to change things if addressed civily and factually.

Yes! Give us the location and dive ops names. We would all like to know who to avoid and whoto use and tip well.

Comrade Stroke

Mmm... yeah, it may have been you just met an inexperienced new crew, or there were other problems. If you said you had a good first experience but the last one wasn't so great just get the dive op. owner on the horn for an informal chat, or else send an e-mail. Actually, do both. Get the owner on the horn, and then just casually mention that you'll also send an e-mail so it's written down for their records. Then make sure the e-mail goes soon after.

And, of course, if the owner does offer to make it right, or offer you a discount on your next visit, ask her/him to send you an e-mail with that information in it as well, and just keep it friendly and say "so you don't forget".

lundysd:
, I was treated with a general rudeness, my dive skills were rather bluntly attacked even before the first dive, .
??? ????? Attacking your dive skills even before the first dive sounds like there were some major bad vibes even before you got in the water.

Were the other customers also treated with rudeness? Was there already some sort of antagonistic relationship due to the canceled night dives or lack of big tanks???

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with the dive shop. I would certainly list the dive op on this board.

Tell as may people as you can how ****ty the service was so they dont make the mistake of going back. A letter to the owner would also be a good thing, hey who knows if he is a smart man he will give you a free trip so you can have a better experiance.

He gives you a free $150 trip it could save him alot more because of the losses you can bring to his shop just by telling people.

But you run teh risk of seriously hurting someones buisness because of a pair(few?) bad employee's. Better to get the owners take on it. If no one ever tells these people there will be nothing to change. If he tells you tough (whether you are right or wrong) bring the name here and I am sure they will get bad press.

Scram Bulleggs:
But you run teh risk of seriously hurting someones buisness because of a pair(few?) bad employee's. Better to get the owners take on it. If no one ever tells these people there will be nothing to change. If he tells you tough (whether you are right or wrong) bring the name here and I am sure they will get bad press.

True, the owner may not be aware of his employees actions on the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom