The Divas hit the water--I mean chocolate milk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Well hoping to find a dive site a little closer to home for the Divas, we decided to try to dive Lake Murray near Chapin, SC.

Jocasseegirl, just got a new bp/w and a 7’hose and new 2nd stage along with some jets. We spent the morning setting up her new gear and then headed off to the dive shop to meet up with Live4Sharks. We still needed to tie a few snaps onto things, but were running late and decided to do those once we got to the lake.

When we got to the lake we hauled all the gear to the waters edge. We could see some minnows in the shallows and were hopeful that we could have some decent vis once we got in the water. It was very mucky on the waters edge and I nearly got stuck in the mud. The mud sucked my shoes right off my feet a couple of times. By the time we got set up, we were really over heated and ready to get below the surface.

Since the cove where we put in was down so much, we decided to surface swim a bit out into the lake and then drop down. When we finally dropped down a couple feet vis was about 1.5 feet at best. We popped back up and decided to descend again while touching one another. Once on the bottom, Jocasseegirl was on my right and Live4Sharks was on my left as I hovered above touching each of them. With them just an arms length away, I could see them but it was hard to see them clearly. We hoped as we swam out and got a deeper and out into the main part of the lake that the vis would open up. It never did.

Jocassee felt pretty comfortable in the new gear. We still need to tweak it a bit . I moved my tank a bit to make it easier for me to reach my valve, but that really messed up my trim. I am still trying to work through that and find the right balance. As long as I was moving I was ok even if only moving slowly, but as soon as I stopped to hover I turtled.

We didn’t get to use as much gas as we would have liked, but we did get the new gear set up and wet. I was pretty comfortable diving the low almost no vis water. It is not my preference mind you, I would much prefer clearer waters. At any rate it did not make me feel disoriented or nervous.

So it was not a stellar weekend of diving, but rather a tiny tiny baby step along our path to become better divers and incorporate DIR principles into our diving.

At the end of the day we went to a nice place to eat and chatted about the day of diving. Jocasseegirl’s husband who is a non diver was patient with us as we talked non stop about our day of diving and future dive plans. I think a good time was had by all!

You dove in chocolate milk, I dove in pea soup.
Yay for algae blooms. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'd say it was more like melted butterscotch chips than chocolate. The low viz didn't freak me out, either - just boring as all get out. Now I know why I don't hear of anyone going to dive Murray, other than for checkout dives near the dam. I never did like that lake, and I REALLY don't like that lake now. Really makes me appreciate the clarity at Jocassee. Definitely the best part of the day was dinner:blinking:

I only had 50' or so vis yesterday.:D

I think the weather pattern finally "Feels" Different here, a change of seasons is in the air.

Oh, USBBee try moving your knees outward to keep your balance with a single 80. I was always holding my arms out and to the sides for balance before I got the legs to cooperate....

Henry

FLDVR, I will have to try that. Live4Sharks showed me a dry land drill that Perrone Ford showed her and what the correct body position should in the water, so I am going to work on that. As for 50' vis--just rub it in why don't you!! I don't think I have every been in water where I could see that far. I think 25' is the best I have been in thus far.

Even with the bad vis I thought we made some progress. Jocasseegirl did a great job with a totally new rig from head to toe from her reg to her fins and everything in between and did a great job in very low vis water. Not the ideal place to break in new gear, but she did very well with a totally reconfigured rig. Live4Sharks said she saw about 20 Christmas trees in the water and I never saw the first one and I was less than an arm's length away from her the whole dive. We really worked at staying together in those conditions and did a pretty good job of staying together as a team.

We did a pretty long surface swim and I have to say it is much easier to surface swim on your back in a bp/w than it is in a jacket bc. We did a long surface swim in jackets last summer and I thought I was going to die by the time we got to the down line. With the bp/w it was like laying on my own little raft. I continue to like it more all the time. I feel it is much more stable both below and above the water line. Since I started using it, my gas consumption has gone way down as I feel more comfortable in the water with the bp/w.

I have to say that the vis was better than the catfish pond I dove a couple of months back. I couldn't even read my gauges pressed against my mask that in that muck. With this stuff you could see from 1- 1.5 feet and read gauges when brought close.

I am still having trouble keeping my long hose tucked in my belt. It keeps coming out and I have to keep retucking it. Any tricks to that? Or does someone want to have mercy on me and give me a can light? If someone offered me a Salvo 50 watt light, I would not turn it down! LOL It is going to be a while before I have a can light, so it is the tuck method for now.

Good old lake Murky. I do not miss diving there.

There is a submerged bridge near goat island If I recall right. Viz on it can at times get up to an amazing 15', it's usually around 5'. The bridge starts at 80' and hits bottom near 120' when the lake is full. It makes for an interesting wreck dive.

I am still having trouble keeping my long hose tucked in my belt. It keeps coming out and I have to keep retucking it. Any tricks to that? Or does someone want to have mercy on me and give me a can light? If someone offered me a Salvo 50 watt light, I would not turn it down! LOL It is going to be a while before I have a can light, so it is the tuck method for now.

Do you have your knife sheaf on the front left? Route it under there and you might not have to tuck it. If you are doing both but its still coming untucked then your waist strap might be a little loose.

I tried just going under the knife at first and then tried the tuck method. I have not tried both the knife and tuck. I will suit up a the house in the living room and give it a shot to see how that seems to work for me.

Ain't lake diving a hoot ...

Last Wednesday evening I did a dive in Lake Washington. Some of my buddies had found something on their side-scan sonar, and it was just odd enough to make us want to go down and see what it was. Vis in the upper layers wasn't too bad ... maybe 10 feet. Water temp was nice and warm too ... 68 degrees. By the time we got down to the bottom (at 195 ffw) vis was maybe 2 to 3 feet (and water temp was 46 degrees).

Turned out to be a boom boat ... a little "mini-tug" with the engine mounted in the center of the boat for maneuverability. Interesting find. Took us a while to figure it out, though, as even with our HID lights we could only manage to see about a 2-foot diameter area at any given time.

Not sure I want to contemplate what makes the water that murky at depth ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom