The death of a 'Mermaid'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know the physics involved, but couldn't the rescue diver share his air with her? What happens to you when you hold your breath all the way down, then take in a reg?

Conce:
There is a video of the tragical event on internet,

www.masdebuceo.com/videos/mestre/video_mestre.htm

There is also an article very good (in spanish) about the tragedy

www.masdebuceo.com/articulo.cfm?idArticulo=1801

I read the book just about a month ago and was amazed, flabergasted, i dont even know how to describe it. I have done a lot of rescerch into what happened, and why it happened. It was indeed the tank, it was empty.
But i had never seen that video. That astounded me in so many ways. I am mortified. I dont think i breathed the whole time watching that movie. WOW

I dont know what else to say.

DCROOK:
I don't know the physics involved, but couldn't the rescue diver share his air with her? What happens to you when you hold your breath all the way down, then take in a reg?
well, a lot of people have played with that. Pipin had great success with it, and kept expierementing.
I was under the impression that because he had descended to her, he would not have enough air for them both for all the deco stops, and it would cause problems with DCI.

after reading lots of articles on the accident and the results of a so called analysis of what happened and after watching the video theres no doubt that the tank was empty..the talk about the bag having a leak if full of crock..and you can tell that she didnt come up 192 feet before she passed out like they are alledging..my question is at tha depth ..why would you hand her to a diver whos on air and not the diver that was on trimix?as for the tank..lets face it ..if its full it would have filled the air bag very fast and you can see from the video it didnt..talk about a complete waste of life and as far as i can see her husband is responsible for what happened ..no doubt about it..it was an accident that should never ever have happened..

i forgot to ask..if anyone has a link as to where i can read that article tht was in sports illustrated about this incident i would be very gratefull....would be great if i could get the magazine itself...anyone have a copy that they dont want??

Wanna be competitive?

Go bowling, much safer and you get your name in the local paper every week so you can be famous even.

DCROOK:

Hmmm might want to ask the tech divers about that, I am pretty sure that she would require deco stops.....(just speculation). My question would be; How come during the entire video that nobody seemed to be giving mouth to mouth, basic CPR, or using O2 on her from boat to shore? What type of EMS setup if any was used to cover this event, or was it even coordinated?

Having watched the video I was wondering the diver who took her up, was she passed along or did the one diver go all the way, did he get a DCI?
Other than that I can't imagine wanting that much water between me and fresh air even with dive tanks.

Back
Top Bottom