The Dan 2008 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The report for 2008 is out.
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/report/2008DANDivingReport.pdf

Things of note:
Positive correlation between obesity and incidents.
Positive correlation between age and incidents.
Positive correlation between _experience_ and incidents.

If you are a male diver over 50 with obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and 10 plus years of diving experience: you fit the profile. Those correlations are could be due to the diving demographic itself. If the demographic skews towards older men with obesity, then this could just reflect that.

The number 1 piece of equipment in incidents which failed......
Computers (followed by masks and fins).

Diving fatalities in the report are so sparse, that lobster mini-season skews the results.

Of people who died because of air embolisms, over half were due to panic (and the resulting ascent). Panic bad.

Of people who died to coronaries while diving, well, they fit the profile basically.

Some of the fatality reports are quite sad.
This 47-year-old male possessed instructor and technical diving certifications and he experimented with modifications he made to a rebreather apparatus. The diver's medical history was significant for epilepsy. He and a buddy were performing a dive at a quarry using a shore entry into very cold water and with poor visibility. The victim had an equipment problem approximately 15 minutes into the dive after reaching a maximum depth of 105 ft (32 m). He and his dive buddy ascended rather quickly and then became separated at an 80 ffw (24 mfw) stop. The dive buddy made two more stops and went to the surface. Other divers on the surface heard someone yell and then saw the victim floating unconscious on the surface. Resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful. According to the investigation the victim knew that his rebreather was malfunctioning and planned to use it in semi-closed-circuit mode to compensate. An examination of the equipment revealed that it was out of specifications, with malfunctioning sensors and an improperly packed carbon dioxide scrubber. The diluent gas tank was also empty. The report also stated that the victim had been drinking beverages containing alcohol until four o'clock the morning of this dive.

There are so many things wrong with that dive.

More evidence that complicated things (computers, rebreathers, human beings) are the major failure points in diving.

Now where did I put my Gorman standard dress?

While computers were the most common failure point, the number of failures is statistically insignificant. Nor were they a significant cause of injuries or fatalities. The nice thing about a computer on a no-deco dive is, if it fails, you just abort and ascend slowly.

The DAN report breaks down incidents, injuries, and fatalities. Masks failed half as much as computers, but it doesn't mean we should ditch masks. Also, computers really aren't that complicated these days. A citizen aqualand watch... is a computer.

I look forward to reading it as I do every year, while also sad about the losses.

You happen to notice which pieces of gear were mostly commonly indicated in deaths?

You happen to notice which pieces of gear were mostly commonly indicated in deaths?

1. The brain of the diver.

Of embolism/drowning fatalities, panic or human error was most at fault.

2. Weight. Several fatalities involved people massive amount of weight from 30 to 60 pounds worth.

3. Rebreathers. Several broken o2 sensors at fault. Of course, in the case I cited in the opening post, it was known to malfunction before the dive.
2 possible faulty
1 faulty

There were two other dives involving rebreathers but human error was the cause of death. The dive where the diver knowingly used a malfunctioning rebreather, and another dive where someone jumped in without turning their rebreather on.

Overall, gear failure didn't seem to be a contributing factor in dive fatalities. Most all were due to either panic, human error, or cardiac arrest.

I've noticed one typo I think. Page 40: "The victim was immediately re-immersed in water to 20 fsw (20 msw) breathing oxygen for about two hours until ascending symptom-free" Big difference. :confused:

US & Canada deaths seem to have taken a 50% jump from previous year.

I've noticed one typo I think. Page 40: "The victim was immediately re-immersed in water to 20 fsw (20 msw) breathing oxygen for about two hours until ascending symptom-free" Big difference. :confused:

US & Canada deaths seem to have taken a 50% jump from previous year.

They figured nobody could read metric units anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom