The cost of Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biscuit7:
Have you all lost your freakin' minds???

This is scuba diving, it's not so hard that a normal, average intelligence adult can't understand the concepts. You all have taken it so far beyond the boundaries of reason it's absolutely ridiculous. Who says that you need a college education, much less 2 years of college level physics, to understand this stuff?

This thread has gotten so far out of hand, it seriously need a valium.

Again, people, just go diving. It really is that simple.

R

Rachel, my dive got cancelled today due to weather. We were talking about how the math is taught in the advanced classes. I have a couple degrees, and I still had a little trouble with the DM math prep because I needed to see some problems worked out. I did very well on the exam, but I would have LIKED to have had a better book. Now if you really need a valium, go take one. We are not talking about your mother. We are discussing the books. the only thing "out of hand " about this thread is you bursting in and ordering us to all go diving. I'll go diving when the sea lays down, okey dokey?

TSandM:
Boy, I've missed a lot of discussion here!

I really think diving could use some well written reference materials designed for the moderately educated adult learner -- something that uses a reasonable vocabulary and doesn't involve anybody wearing Hawaiian shirts. But that may just be me.

Here is light reading for you...pick anyone...:D
http://www.rgbmdiving.com/site/bestpub.htm

I'm currently reading...
Basic Deco. Theory & Application (2nd) BK # B0350 $38.00
This monograph updates and extends the first edition of Basic Decompression Theory and Application. A major focus is modern, dual phase, diver staging strategies, in theory, application, and testing. Decompression theory is coupled to phase mechanisms in a ten-chapter series. Topics include energy and thermodynamics, pressure and density, flow mechanics, gas kinetics, free and dissolved phase transfer, equation of state, bubbles and surfactants, nucleation and cavitation, mixed gases, risk and statistics, computing models, tables, meters, and decompression software. Extensive references are included, along with sample problems and solutions.

Hey Paul, have you read a lot of that? Because I am always really curious about how much blood PH changes drive the equations which allow gas to come out of solution. I am always wondering about the lactic acid in your muscles and the increased propensity for DCI. If your blood is 7.4 and goes to 7.3 (more acidic), I wonder if Nitrogen is more likely to form microbubbles. Ever hear any discussion about the metabolic Ph of the diver?

I am off topic, but I bet nobody cares.... sorry.

catherine96821:
I would like to see PADI raise the bar a bit on their books.

Catherine, I agree with you. Overall, I have been really dissappointed by all PADI materials. Poorly written and generally lacking of content.

With regards to diving physics, it's actually quite easy to explain. It's amazing how confusing the PADI material is with regards to this.

I was so annoyed about that I actually whined & cheezed about it.

Btw, ScubaToys has a classroom section. For example: Archimedes Principle.

Don,
Really? they sell books? Any good ones on the PADI DM type questions? I will look.
I will have to check out your posts. It is not a popular subject, is it?

Aloha,
catherine

catherine96821:
Hey Paul, have you read a lot of that? Because I am always really curious about how much blood PH changes drive the equations which allow gas to come out of solution. I am always wondering about the lactic acid in your muscles and the increased propensity for DCI. If your blood is 7.4 and goes to 7.3 (more acidic), I wonder if Nitrogen is more likely to form microbubbles. Ever hear any discussion about the metabolic Ph of the diver?

I am off topic, but I bet nobody cares.... sorry.

If I answer you...I'll have to bill you for a consulting fee...:D

Hey...you don't think the dive computer manufacturers get it for free do you????

OOOOhhhhh. I know who you are now!...well ask your doctor wife for me, okay?

biscuit7:
Have you all lost your freakin' minds???

This is scuba diving, it's not so hard that a normal, average intelligence adult can't understand the concepts. You all have taken it so far beyond the boundaries of reason it's absolutely ridiculous. Who says that you need a college education, much less 2 years of college level physics, to understand this stuff?

This thread has gotten so far out of hand, it seriously need a valium.

Again, people, just go diving. It really is that simple.

R

I'd like to frame your post and hang it on the virtual walls of scubaboard. There are so many anal retentive freaks on this forum that think that every last cubic inch of air must be calculated...with 18 layers of redundancy built in. The level of obsessive/compulsive behaviour among some of the people here is amazing. MONK is an amatuer compared to many of these folks.. They mean well, and you gotta love 'em...but Geez!! I had a guy telling me the other day that no student should be certified without first taking "The Mechanics of Static and Dynamic Trim"... I think the Techies on here get a little full of themselves. Not to say they arent head and shoulders above most of us...(they are)...but they certainly like to make sure we know it.

Back
Top Bottom