The Chaudiere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Headed over to Sechelt yesterday and up the inlet to dive the Chaudiere. We found it right where we left it back in '92, just off Kunechin Point in a picture perfect little bay:D. Since I'd never been back since December of '92 I did'nt know what to expect. We tied off to the marker closest to shore expecting it to be shallowest and dropped through very poor vis the top 20 feet. The bouy is tied off to the starboard stern in 50 feet of water at low tide. Vince immediately found an artifact but since he already had a Makita drill decided against packing it around for the dive. The ship rests on her port side and as we dropped over, visibility opened up to somewhere around 50 feet. The wreck is enormous and even with decent vis compleatly fills your field of vision. As every hole in her demanded to be investigated I don't think we even made it halfway down her length. At our max depth of 100' we hung motionless, watching two rebreather divers that had arrived after us moving through the wreck a good 40' below. No bubbles and tightly focused can light beams made for a very Zen like scene. As our NDL was fast diminishing we returned to our decent line and spent a few minutes watching a sailfin sculpin go about his business before making our accent. Outstanding dive.

I like to dive the Chaud...
But sometimes it's a great dive and sometimes the viz is just awful.
K

Vince immediately found an artifact but since he already had a Makita drill decided against packing it around for the dive. .
My God! That drill was there over 2 years ago when I last dove her.

Geez,

I turn down a weekend diving and miss my chance at a free drill. Now that you posted it, someone will take it for sure. :sad_2:

One of those rebreather divers was me!

I thought that was you (Skookumchuck) but wasn't sure. We decided to join the charter (very) late in the week, otherwise I would have contacted you to see if that was where you were heading.

Great dive! First thing we saw when we went to penetrate - A ling Cod eating an Octo - pretty cool :)

Geez,

I turn down a weekend diving and miss my chance at a free drill. Now that you posted it, someone will take it for sure.
sad_2.gif

Not only that Scott but on our second dive I found one of those big brick weights, 10 or 12 pounds. When Vinnie saw me trying to find a place to put in my BC I thought he was going to slap some sense into me:D.
Sunkmail, was that you with another rebreather diver hanging on the line our boat was tied too?

Back
Top Bottom