• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

The Bugs Are Back In Town!

Discussion in 'Commercial Divers' started by fstbttms, Mar 23, 2010.

1. fstbttms

fstbttms Manta Ray

I always like to end the day covered in copepods. They add, shall we say, a certain "aroma" to the evening air. ;-)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. hullscrubber

hullscrubber Solo Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    mmmm... sea-maggots. I always love to tell a rookie boat owner their boat is infested with them...

3. fstbttms

fstbttms Manta Ray

Sea-maggots? Never heard that one before. You'll excuse me if I don't use it to describe the bugs I find on me in the future. ;-)

4. rigdiver

rigdiver Course Director

Better than diesel fuel. So good for the hair.:wink:

5. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Glad I dive a superlite

6. shoot2retrieve

shoot2retrieve Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Whoaaa!!! Do those just float in the water column and then attatch themselves to you or get on you during a surface interval? Also are they in fresh and saltwater? What are they exactly or what do I need to do a search under in google to learn more about them? That's just crazy!!!

7. hullscrubber

hullscrubber Solo Diver

Down here in Florida, they're just simple saltwater brine shrimp. At certain times of year, the water is thick with them. As a result, I get to be very popular with all the neighborhood cats...

8. fstbttms

fstbttms Manta Ray

These particular critters (and the pic shows a relatively few of them. I've come out of the water many times literally encrusted with them) live on boat bottoms and come off when you clean the boat. Freshwater? I dunno, I don't work in freshwater. Also, I couldn't tell you specifically what they are (other than some kind of copepod. Maybe they actually are brine shrimp. I've heard them called that before), but they are a very common organism here in the Bay Area.

9. charlie123

charlie123 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    we call them brine shrimp my buddy got one in his ear some how ,he was wearing a hood got a nasty ear infection kept him out of the water for 2 weeks.

10. wcbdiver

wcbdiver Angel Fish

# of Dives:
    Yes, we have the same things on vancouver Island. Nasty little creatures. They attach themselfs to everything. When we scrap the nets at fish farms, they come off in the millions. I have heard of divers having them dig themselfs under thier exposed skin and getting a nasty infection. I have not had any bad experience with these creatures, and I have been covered with them, head to toe.

John
    http://www.kuroshio.com