The Board is so slow it's virtually unusable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If more people would sponsor Scubaboard that would help. Heck the information alone on this forum is well worth a sponsor.

Things were mostly great until the malicious attack on our server a few weeks ago. While we didn't lose any data, we did suffer some damage to the web server.

I understand. I spend my surface intervals ("real-life") as an engineer specializing in computer/network security. It sucks, but there are lots of bad people out there who are willing and able to tear down that which we work so hard to build. It's a constant battle.

Thanks again for your efforts.

It's running great this morning, were there a few changes, lookin good.

We have always tried to be up front about any technical issues that we have had. Our frustrated hacker, since he could NOT access the data base, decided to delete the OS file for our current web server. We had had issues with our number 2 server last July (remember the cycling outages???) when it was our data base server, and we had subsequently moved the DB to server number three. Server #2 was then re-loaded with a newer OS and current MySQL, PHP and Apache and SUPPOSEDLY tested for reliability. So when the Hacker hit, we just finished server 2 by installing a copy of vBulletin to it and we were live, only to find that the issue with server 2 was mechanical in nature, and that their testing did not reveal the inherent flaws in that server. We were back to cycling crashes due to that server. So, HowardE, our provider and a few others patched Server 1 together so we could limp. We knew at the time that it needed to be completely reloaded, but we HAD to get ScubaBoard up! I believe we were running stable in less than 18 hours. Server 2 was sent off for a warranty replacement, and we are QUITE disappointed that we have not received it yet. We have been promised that we will have it up and running this week! If they live up to that promise, then we will be moving server ops to the new Server 2 and retiring server 1, which will pending a reload once we determine that our new Server 2 is stable.

So we continue to "limp" for a bit! Both HowardE and I have been up late dealing with these server issues as we PATIENTLY await it's forthcoming resolution. Our ultimate goal is to set up load balancing between servers 1 and 2 to provide an incredibly QUICK and stable experience for all of our users. Server three will remain hidden from the rest of the internet, handling only data base services for our two web servers.

A fifth server should also be online this week, that will be handling some back up duties as well as hosting some additional domains. It will also serve as our back-up Data Base server. As always, we will be adding more redundancies as we can afford them.

Our ultimate goal is to set up load balancing between servers 1 and 2 to provide an incredibly QUICK and stable experience for all of our users. Server three will remain hidden from the rest of the internet, handling only data base services for our two web servers.

Sounds like a good approach.

Back
Top Bottom