The Blue Wild in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I plan on attending in Feb 2013. I wanted to attend a consumer show in Ft. Lauderdale next year and The blue Wild was the only logical choice.

Anyone going to this show? I heard last year's show was awesome.

Cerich, look forward to working with you.

By the way, Ft. Lauderdale Beach (the strip) is a fun place to hang out and the diving is awesome that time of year.... but maybe you already know that.

By the way, Ft. Lauderdale Beach (the strip) is a fun place to hang out and the diving is awesome that time of year.... but maybe you already know that.

Sheri,
One thing I would like to see develop is a much better way for people that would like to freedive, to be able to find a boat and go freediving, on a trip that is pretty close to what they would like to experience.
There is an enormous amount of publicity and advertising aimed at TEACHING FREEDIVING and some even in teaching spearfishing....This is of zero interest to the thousands of people in South Florida that already know how to freedive---- I have excellent connections in the scuba charter world of South Florida, but if I wanted to freedive a reef like Horseshoe or the Islands off of Pauls, near Lake Worth Florida (40 foot crowns, 60 foot inshore ledges), I have no good way to enjoy this, and I NEVER hear about a boat that is trying to drum up Freedive trips to good reefs. Complicating this, there are people that would want to freedive and just sightsee or maybe lobster dive in season, and their are others that would be more interested in spearfishing...meaning different site objectives--potentially different boats/groups going out. Typically this is private boats only, and that is not a good solution.

Is there any liklihood of development of the charter business side of getting freedivers out to the best "freediving" reefs in Palm Beach?

Last edited:
I do, I actually lived in Davie, then Boynton Beach about a decade ago...and worked in Ft Lauderdale. Lots of GREAT diving there

Sheri,
One thing I would like to see develop is a much better way for people that would like to freedive, to be able to find a boat and go freediving, on a trip that is pretty close to what they would like to experience.
There is an enormous amount of publicity and advertising aimed at TEACHING FREEDIVING and some even in teaching spearfishing....This is of zero interest to the thousands of people in South Florida that already know how to freedive---- I have excellent connections in the scuba charter world of South Florida, but if I wanted to freedive a reef like Horseshoe or the Islands off of Pauls, near Lake Worth Florida (40 foot crowns, 60 foot inshore ledges), I have no good way to enjoy this, and I NEVER hear about a boat that is trying to drum up Freedive trips to good reefs. Complicating this, there are people that would want to freedive and just sightsee or maybe lobster dive in season, and their are others that would be more interested in spearfishing...meaning different site objectives--potentially different boats/groups going out. Typically this is private boats only, and that is not a good solution.

Is there any liklihood of development of the charter business side of getting freedivers out to the best "freediving" reefs in Palm Beach?

Dan, great question (sorry it took me so long to answer). I've noticed the same thing. There are a lot of freedivers now but not so many charters that cater to them. I think the reason is that it's hard for a charter to keep track of (and protect) more than two heads going up and down in the water. It would be almost impossible to take 6 freedivers and do it safely in my opinion...too many heads bobbing up and down. When I am captaining and have to watch more than two heads, I start to get anxious if someone starts to separate (which they should not do, but it happens). Anyway, I'm guessing that charters would rather drop six people in the water on scuba than take three PITA freedivers (which results in less money and more stress). Know what I mean? Anyway, that's my theory.

On the other hand, I think there are plenty of charter captains that just want to make a living. So if 3 freedivers get together (with whatever their common interest is in the water), they could then charter the boat. It might be more expensive per person, but it would be relatively safe and the boat can cater to whatever they want to do. Does this make sense? In other words, I don't think any captains are likely to specialize in freediving-only charters, but they could be bought for the right price. :)

Hi Sheri,
I think you are right, Captains are afraid of what will happen with a bunch of "out of control" freedivers....at least this is how it feels to them when they all split up...

But...It does not have to be that way...All it would take is a group diving in a manner that the boats will feel comfortable with....
One way I know it would work in Palm Beach, would be to take either 6 or 9 freedivers, and have them agree to dive in groups....if 6, then 3 groups of 2, or 2 groups of three.... One up and one down, or One up and 2 down...but the diver on the surface can watch the one or two under, and the boat can track the freediver on the surface. In Palm Beach, boats are used to having 3 or 4 floats/flags, or 3 or 4 torpedo bouys with flags on them...and following.
The gentle current keeps all moving the same basic direction....All we need, is 6 to 9 willing to work this way.

All we need, is 6 to 9 willing to work this way.

I agree...that would work. If they are willing to do one-up/one-down (which they should be doing for safety anyway) and they are trading off a flag, it should work out for everyone. I guess we'll see if this method evolves. Even with a flag, you'd still have to be real careful about inattentive boat drivers.

When I go, it's usually two of us on a private boat with a captain, and we are diving one-up/one-down. The boat is always within such a distance that we don't need to tow a flag....so the flag is on the boat, and the captain/boat act as protection. It can be dangerous out there! :shocked2:

I know many free divers in and around S. Palm Beach / N. Broward. As many of you know, they have a well established network of private boats and divers and really no need to charter. In truth though, most of their time in the water is spent in the islands, where the success rate is much better.

Hardly an effective solution for new freedivers or a school creating new freedivers.....If it was, PADI shops would be sending new scuba students to a "network" of private boaters at each destination....
In any event, it is great that there is a network of private boats some freedivers can use....for the sport of freediving to grow and a real market segment to form, you will need charter boats :)
In reality, the Scuba Industry and DEMA should be pushing for a bigger support for freedive awareness and training, as this "could be" another way to gain more future scuba divers--and this would be a group with far superior skills and potentials.

Back
Top Bottom