The Blue Hole in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In regards to the Nitrox, I was speaking of bottom time and no deco requirement. Should have made that more clear.

No worries, your question was quite clear. I was responding to ktomlinson's post.

I was there last week with Huracan Diving. We did two dives... one with three of "us" plus guide. The second was "us" alone... so three people in the entire hole. These were by far the best dives I've done there (5th trip) simply because there was no one else around. The vis was excellent (although dark since we were there just after 7:30 in the morning) and it stayed that way. I also wasn't concerned about some random dude jumping me for my air. Generally I don't like diving to this depth with people I don't know, so this was a treat. I trained the two people I was diving with (my wife and a good friend) and I know that they are capable, if not under-equipped, at that depth. We had a clear plan, including gas management and bailout plans. One dive was to 150', the other was to 160'

Is it worth a trip to Belize to dive the Hole? Nope, probably not unless you are a geology freak. Is it worth it to dive the area nearby... Halfmoon Caye? Absolutely. We stayed out there and it was vastly superior to diving at AC. I think many people don't enjoy the dive since it is WAY beyond their comfort level, and WAY beyond the depth they typically dive to. These depths are what we dive every weekend at home, except the water is 39F.

Here are a couple of shots from last week...

JK Blue Hole sm © DSC_9038.jpgBlue Hole Cathedral © DSC_9164 Resized.jpg

The only tech centre in Belize is now Belize Diving Services on Caye Caulker. I presume they have most gases etc but I don't know for sure. I used to offer everything when my tech centre was operating.

You don't need to carry a small tank with you on planes. So long as you take a sling, a way of attaching it to a tank and a suitable spare reg you can mount those on a second standard alu 80 and take that down with you side slung. I've often done that, not for me but for anyone else who may find they need it. But barring catastrophic equipment failure most people do the entire dive on less than half a standard 80.

Back
Top Bottom