The big boys are off Jupiter - Goliaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidsdream

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What a difference a day makes. Today I am holed up in Key Largo waiting out Fay, but yesterday I did three wonderful dives just off of the Jupiter inlet. The Goliaths are congregating in large numbers off the coast presumably to mate.

This shot is straight out of my camera as my laptop here does not have any Photoshop installed. Just part of a group of twenty we saw near the wreck of the MG111
Florida+August+2008+161.jpg

Last edited:
Nice...

How big would that fish be Jeff? I would love to see the Goliath grouper or potato cod....I like the large wildlife.

In general the Goliaths run from 3 - 5 feet when full grown. These fish group off of Jupiter in really large numbers this time of year. It is a remarkable recovery for a specie that was nearly off the map 10 to 15 years ago.

We also saw a reef shark and a large Stingray during my 3 Jupiter dives. Combine that with the fact that I say a Eagle Rays on 2 of my 4 Key Largo dives a couple of days before, I would say that the large animals are out and about.

How big would that fish be Jeff? I would love to see the Goliath grouper or potato cod....I like the large wildlife.

Nice. Those guys are awesome. I can't imagine seeing that many on a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom